Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure knowing the exact number has any real bearing. If you dig around there are more studies which show there are more homes in the UK that have off road parking than not. In fairness that's a majority even if the number that do not is still significant (which it is). I know from reading some of the studies that there are wide regional variations and expect that these correlate with the types of homes (terraced, flats etc) in the area.
Absolutely

My perception is that the availability of public charging has improved over the last year but it has a long way to go before I'd want to go for an EV if I did not have home charging facilities. Hopefully as we continue to transition (and the technology advances) this will be addressed.
All you need to do is look as you drive around and see how many times all the chargers are in use, it's very rare in my experience.

But just wait a tick. If 60% = 14.5 million then 100% (ie the households in England) must then be 24 million. Agreed ? Only the actual number of households in England was around 27.2 milllion (source ONS). So if that report can get that fundamental figure so wrong, it ceases to have any validity at all with regard to other figures that it comes up with.
And so that's a FAIL
Obviously your gut feeling is way better?

If anyone is interested, I can detail the flaws in the second source that he quoted in post 2981 - the RAC Standing Still report. Let me know.
Well, I'm not particularly bothered either way, I always have an open mind so if theres 100% accurate, warts and all report on the number of houses that do have off road parking available and could charge EV's please let us know. So far as your condemnation of my statement that the majority of houses DO have offroad parking / ability to charge EV's youre being ridiculous. Even IF the data was slightly out the chances proportionally that houses would have offroad parking remains the same, so FAIL to you 😂

I think perhaps of more importance is the percentage of poorer homes that don't have off street paring. Council and social houses, long streets of cheaper terraced houses, flats, low end rentals, I would speculate a number but the occupants af those are fall less likely to be able to afford a new EV or even a recent used model though that will of course change as they come through the system. They still run cars usually older ICEs and I can't see that changing for quite some time especially as belts are inevitably tightened over the next months and years.

It still doesn't change the point Phil makes above and my son and family albeit in an affluent area are in one of those large terraced houses where often the nearest they can park to the house is in the next street. Chargers on lamp posts and bollards won't help much as it's unlikely they would get anywhere near. There would be a huge uproar if they marked off bays that could remain largely unoccupied or full even when charging has finished.

I mentioned my daughter in law having to leave her car in a car park and walk home while it charged but that's if theres a bay available. Apparently yesterday she tried 4 times and an additional issue is that you can only leave a car in the car prk for 2 hours with no return in another 2. The wardens are sh*t hot to boot.

Last edited:
I live on the edge of a mill town in Lancashire. There are rows and rows of terraced properties and parking is a premium. Whoever gets home from work first gets the parking place sort of arrangement as there is not even sufficient space to have an agreement that the space in front of each house is 'reserved' for the home owner/ renter. How these people would manage to charge vehicles I have no idea. Multiply this by millions and you have the extent of the challenge.
Chargers at work, shops, gyms, theatres, hotels, car parks etc etc etc.

Even a few dedicated chargers in streets of terraced properties priced by time in charger space - with a reasonable charge rate an EV may only need (say) 2 hours charging once/twice a week. Could even have a smartphone booking app attached so that a charging slot can be booked.

That there is work required to improve the infrastructure is not doubted - but it is all entirely feasible.

My perception is that the availability of public charging has improved over the last year but it has a long way to go before I'd want to go for an EV if I did not have home charging facilities. Hopefully as we continue to transition (and the technology advances) this will be addressed.
I agree - recharging at commercial rates eliminates any running cost savings which are available through home charging. Environmental benefits are a different issue.

Well youre entitled to your experienced opinion, I should take heed of my dads advice, never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level.

Exactly what Dabop says above, I have never waited for my EV to charge, just had a coffee or toilet break to get me my next few hours of driving. Unlike ICE where you have to stand there pouring poison into the tank. EV's are way more civilised refuelling.
Well I know who I think the silly person is, the one who thinks that being forced to take a coffee or toilet break is not waiting for the Ev to charge?

Everybody/anybody get their letters today from DVLA saying it's tax time from April 25? No more band A, the freebie band.

Electric and low emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025​

You will need to pay the lowest first year rate of vehicle tax (which applies to vehicles with CO2 emissions 1 to 50g/km). From the second tax payment onwards, these vehicles will pay the standard rate. This is £190 for 2024 but is subject to change for 2025.

Electric and low emission cars registered between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2025​

You will pay the standard rate. This is £190 for 2024 but is subject to change for 2025.

Electric and low emission cars registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017​

These vehicles will move to the first band that has a VED value. This is £20 for 2024 but is subject to change for 2025.

Hybrid and alternatively fuelled vehicles (AFVs)​

The £10 annual discount for hybrid and AFVs will be removed, and the rate you will pay will depend on when the vehicle was first registered. If the vehicle was:
  • registered before 1 April 2017 - this rate will depend on the vehicle’s CO2 emissions (check the current rates for this vehicle)
  • registered on or after 1 April 2017 - you will pay the standard rate (this is £190 for 2024 but is subject to change for 2025)

Electric vans​

Most electric vans will move to the standard annual rate for light goods vehicles. Check the current rates for this vehicle.

Electric motorcycles​

Electric motorcycles and tricycles will move to the annual rate for the smallest engine size. Check the current rates for this vehicle.

Additional rate (expensive car supplement)​

For new electric vehicles with a list price exceeding £40,000, you will now need to pay the expensive car supplement from the second tax payment onwards. This applies to vehicles registered on or after 1 April 2025.

There's rather a lot of "subject to change"s.

Back