Does a live centre need to spin?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully not a daft question but I'm new at this, the tail stock on my old Coronet Major came with one that is just a solid point. Obviously there'll be more friction and all the live centers I've seen for sale (or in YouTube videos) are of the spinning type, which I guess is why they're called 'live' centres. Before I spend money, is there anything I should look out for when buying one?

Great thanks. I have one of the 4 'bit' ones for the headstock and the other was in the tailstock when I got it. I'll look for a proper live centre and order one up. Currently looking at chuck options too, but I'll post another thread for that one.

Not a big lathe user, but I have always just had a solid bit in the tailstock, yes it does get very hot but seems to do the job just fine. Fyi it has a very sharp centre point with a sharp ring 12mm dia? around it.

Hopefully not a daft question but I'm new at this, the tail stock on my old Coronet Major came with one that is just a solid point. Obviously there'll be more friction and all the live centers I've seen for sale (or in YouTube videos) are of the spinning type, which I guess is why they're called 'live' centres. Before I spend money, is there anything I should look out for when buying one?
That would be a dead centre. Rubbing some beeswax on it will help reduce the friction. I'd still go for a live centre any day of the week.

A ring centre (pic below) can be used in either location. Good for beginners in the headstock because a catch will just stop the wood turning, instead of hitting you or snatching the tool.

Attachments

• 1726779737588.png
    1726779737588.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back