Current shed project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You understand why a car port was important (y)

It's actually in the paint shop right now... and I may well relocate it in the garage when it comes back and put the other car under the car port.
Also used to have a blue IX FQ-320 from new but stupidly sold it in 2017 after 12 years ownership. You on MLR by any chance? Haven't been on there for years, myself but used to be an active and prolific contributor - some might even say rampant?...
Sweet, mine needs paint badly, lives on a London street and looks like it. Yes a member (same handle ish) but never very active (still look in but it's all but dead now). A mine of information still there though. Ah yes, some Pork involved too, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Sweet, mine needs paint badly, lives on a London street and looks like it. Yes a member (same handle) but never very active (still look in but it's all but dead now). A mine of information still there though. Ah yes, some Pork involved too, if I recall correctly.
Good memory. We still also have one of those too.

The six "spars"/"legs" of the window laid out showing how they fit together - I've basically contrived to fudge up half-lap joints without cutting any half-lap joints...

1729413774308.png

1729413888292.png

1729413933116.png

The protruding legs around the outside were deliberate - I'll flush them off at a later stage - I just didn't want any recessing into the frame - which I managed to do with one of the joins on the prototype - and the reason I wrote "293++ CUT LONG" on the plans shown in a previous post.

One more stage prior to glue-up - cut out the recesses in the inside face to fit the acrylic glass.

Marked out a 5mm rebate for glass.

1729414356829.png

1729414404442.png

Last edited:
Routing out the rebates achieved with a flush cut trim bit.

1729416595383.png

Managed to set the router depth accurately enough to just remove the waste from the inside layer of timber :)

1729416731082.png

Just a few places that needed to be cleaned up manually with a sharp chisel

1729416820226.png

Instead of rebates, the centre horizontal spar has 5 mm deep slots. These were cut on the table saw and came nicely:

1729417196887.png

This time I contrived to place the stock into the table saw and lift it out again without cutting full length, so the slots aren't obvious when the window is open.

1729417368314.png

Glue-up underway - corners first - best efforts to ensure it turns out square!

1729417911426.png

Darkness was approaching so I pressed on to beat the twilight and didn't have opportunity for any more photos, and forgot to snap the clamped up frame...

Success!

It's flat, and it's square, and it appears to have taken the desired dimensions:

1729418223634.png

1729418284370.png

And there's only a small hint of the slots in the centre spar on the outside edges...

1729418394051.png

Unlike the prototype front window

1729418446304.png

You have certainly put a lot of thought into your carport and shed. Squeezing the shed in at the back, very efficient use of space. My only thoughts is with putting timber posts in the ground, even treated they will rot eventually, so the choice is concrete pad with treaded bar nut large washer and nut then the wood post drilled out and placed on top of the treaded bar up off the ground or as you have done. I guess it comes down to how long you want the structure to last.

A very nice job, it really does look good, and whichever car ends up in it will be very happy I'm sure.

You have certainly put a lot of thought into your carport and shed. Squeezing the shed in at the back, very efficient use of space. My only thoughts is with putting timber posts in the ground, even treated they will rot eventually, so the choice is concrete pad with treaded bar nut large washer and nut then the wood post drilled out and placed on top of the treaded bar up off the ground or as you have done. I guess it comes down to how long you want the structure to last.

A very nice job, it really does look good, and whichever car ends up in it will be very happy I'm sure.

Thanks for the kind words.

I agree that the posts will rot "eventually" and should that happen I'm prepared with a plan to support the structure temporarily while chopping out the errant post and replacing it.
This was a concern from the outset - and the very reason why I lined the bottom of the post hole with postcrete prior to placing the posts in - that way the very bottom of the posts aren't exposed to bare earth/groundwater. Another thing I hope will help longevity is the brick layer at ground level - which means water can't pool around the base of the post in any recess, or within the gravel top layer that would have been there without the cemented-in brick footing.

Latest posts

Back