Creaking laminate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georget79

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had laminate installed over natural floorboards. The floorboards were even and not creaky. He did the living room first, underlay then laminate, before coming back to do the hall.

After the living room was done, there was no sound at all, perfectly smooth. Today he did the hall, and now the first section of thr living room when you go in, creaks badly when walking on it.

I noticed at the door frame, there is one tiny section that hasnt got an expansion gap. Could this be the cause of the creaking? As far as I saw, there was an expansion gap everywhere else in the living room (beading down now so can't check), but now I've noticed this

Attachments

• IMG_20241004_172950.jpg
    IMG_20241004_172950.jpg
    2.3 MB
Just had laminate installed over natural floorboards. The floorboards were even and not creaky. He did the living room first, underlay then laminate, before coming back to do the hall.

After the living room was done, there was no sound at all, perfectly smooth. Today he did the hall, and now the first section of thr living room when you go in, creaks badly when walking on it.

I noticed at the door frame, there is one tiny section that hasnt got an expansion gap. Could this be the cause of the creaking? As far as I saw, there was an expansion gap everywhere else in the living room (beading down now so can't check), but now I've noticed this
Tbh with the information you have supplied and the single photo it’s difficult to say . Imo and experience it’s unlikely that 1 small area would cause a bad creak. Have you spoke to thd installer ? . I’ve never had this issue personally so again difficult to say but it sounds like part of the flooring is maybe trapped and under tension hence the creaking. Was the existing floor completely level or was it uneven at some point causing the problem. Has it been installed from one room to the other ( no door bar fitted) . A few more pics of both rooms from different angles/ views will help .. what thickness is it and what underlay has been used ..

That could be the issue, wonder why the door frame and casing wasn't undercut so the expansion joint area would not been seen.
As Bingy man said more pics would help.

I didn't realise until after he left, I'll ask him tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure the floorboards underneath were even. The whole room and hall were, although this is an area I may not have noticed much.
It's been installed in the living room and the adjoining hall, so there's no door bar fitted on that door.
It's 10mm laminate and 3mm pro gold Vapour underlay. The hall is perfectly quiet, as is most of the living room, but this noise is so loud now.
As I said, he did living room the other day, so for a few days I didn't hear any creaks at all, on the area I now hear it loudly, so since the hall has been laid, this noise appeared in living room. More photos and video attached

Attachments

• VID_20241004_192453_057.mp4
    9 MB
  • IMG_20241004_190916.jpg
    IMG_20241004_190916.jpg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_20241004_190933.jpg
    IMG_20241004_190933.jpg
    2.2 MB
I didn't realise until after he left, I'll ask him tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure the floorboards underneath were even. The whole room and hall were, although this is an area I may not have noticed much.
It's been installed in the living room and the adjoining hall, so there's no door bar fitted on that door.
It's 10mm laminate and 3mm pro gold Vapour underlay. The hall is perfectly quiet, as is most of the living room, but this noise is so loud now.
As I said, he did living room the other day, so for a few days I didn't hear any creaks at all, on the area I now hear it loudly, so since the hall has been laid, this noise appeared in living room. More photos and video attached
That sounds horrible and as said I’ve never had that problem and although I’m not a pro floor installer I’ve laid many over the years - I’d get the fitter back asap . I’m wondering if he has used the beading to try to compensate for an uneven section of floorboards. I’d ask him to remove the beading and see if it stops ghe racket ..

Not recommending it (particularly in this case) but I’ve heard that talcum powder can stop stairs squeaking, seems unlikely but a friend swore it worked.
That one bit rubbing against the door frame is fairly easy to check, but I suspect some of the laminate isn’t supported- ie a low part of the original floor.
Ian

Back