Car tax / road fund licence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps more tricky is that you also become responsible for it having a valid MoT.
(Unless it is a ‘classic car’ - eg over 40 years old - in which case it will likely not need either MoT or VED)
Although I believe that it is necessary to apply for an exemption from VED.

In an ideal world, you should buy the car and insure, tax, and MoT it the same day but you're unlikely to get an MoT appointment for at least a week these days. It's perfectly legal to drive the car to the MoT centre without a MoT and then drive it away to remedy any faults unless they are serious which may result in the car being deemed unsafe to drive and not allowed to leave the MoT centre of its own power, but you can not drive the car without an MoT for any other reason so you can't drive it home after purchase.

But you also run into the problem that even whilst it's insured, the insurance is void whilst it hasn't got an MoT so you need to drive very carefully to the MoT centre, ideally during a time with no traffic.
Or buy a car that’s got an MOT?

But you also run into the problem that even whilst it's insured, the insurance is void whilst it hasn't got an MoT
First thank you to the three people who answered my query.

And since the thread has drifted I'd like to ask.

Where did you get this information?

I have never seen a stipulation in a car insurance policy that the car insured must have a current MOT cert.

After all it's no guarantee that the car is roadworthy.

Only that it was at the moment the test was completed.

I have never seen a stipulation in a car insurance policy that the car insured must have a current MOT cert.

It’s not as black and white as some have suggested Artie …

https://www.pattersonlaw.co.uk/faqs/no-mot-doesnt-invalidate-insurance/

It is not a requirement to have a valid MOT for car insurance. Otherwise if you had taken you car off the road for a couple of months your asset would still be at risk. I SORN my motorcycle for the winter months but continue my insurance policy to ‘protect’ against risks.

However, if you drive your vehicle without an MOT on a public road and have an accident can you imagine any insurance company not using your unlawful use of the vehicle to refuse cover Nader the policy?

However, if you drive your vehicle without an MOT on a public road and have an accident can you imagine any insurance company not using your unlawful use of the vehicle to refuse cover Nader the policy?
Assuming Nader is a typo and should read under …

Only if the car is unroadworthy and that caused/contributed to the insured event happening. The Insurance Act 2015 effectively prevents insurers declining claims for irrelevant reasons.

Yes I can imagine it would be a non issue.

MOT centres here are so far behind that sometimes the quickest appointment is 6 months away and since you can only book one month ahead, there are lots of motorists without current MOT. They are not being booked for no insurance.

Yes I can imagine it would be a non issue.

MOT centres here are so far behind that sometimes the quickest appointment is 6 months away and since you can only book one month ahead, there are lots of motorists without current MOT. They are not being booked for no insurance.
I didn't know that you could only book one month ahead. I know that you can have your car tested one month before the expiry date and still have it run from the expiry date.
But anyhow, having to book 6 months in advance is crazy! Is it an NI thing? I've never had to wait that long.

I didn't know that you could only book one month ahead. I know that you can have your car tested one month before the expiry date and still have it run from the expiry date.
But anyhow, having to book 6 months in advance is crazy! Is it an NI thing? I've never had to wait that long.

Different system to GB. NI MoT centres are government run. Due to lack of investment over the last 20 years the 15 odd MoT centres now have to cope with over 1.2m vehicles rather than the 600,000 they were designed for. That, coupled with lifts that started to show signs of fracturing and of course Covid, late delivery of two extra MoT centres and a few other issues, it's all a bit of a mess. Average waiting time is now 153 days. NI MoT regulations state that a test is needed on the 4th year from first registration rather than the 3 yrs in GB.
Some TECs (Temporary Exemption Certs) are being introduced for (I think) 2017-2019 cars which will help. Other measures being considered are tests every 2 yrs for cars less than 10 yrs old.
@artie If you are in a hurry you can contact DVA and they will arrange an "emergency" appointment within 10 days. You could also try refreshing the booking page for an hour or two or might get lucky by checking appointments on a regular basis.

Ref MoT cert and insurance cover, your policy may differ but no MoT does not automictically void your insurance. If there is a claim it may well be reduced if no MoT.

Last edited:
@artie If you are in a hurry you can contact DVA and they will arrange an "emergency" appointment within 10 days.
I didn't know that.

My question was merely for information. I have been toying with the idea of a classic car and while looking online saw some which have been untaxed for years.

SWMBO advised caution as in her opinion, I might be liable for the back tax, er sorry duty.

So my question was purely for information.

I received the answer I was hoping for, but hey ho lets see how far we can drift the thread. :):)

A bit different to here then where if you're caught on the ANPR cameras coming in or out of town without a proper MoT the police will chase you down on the bypass and give you a dressing down because they have nothing better to do.

A bit different to here then where if you're caught on the ANPR cameras coming in or out of town without a proper MoT the police will chase you down on the bypass and give you a dressing down because they have nothing better to do.
To be fair; no valid MoT means no valid insurance, so if you caused an accident it would be a problem for the other party... so it's probably not the worst thing that the coppers are targeting it.

hey ho lets see how far we can drift the thread.
OK, artie, since you're asking:

the police will chase you down on the bypass and give you a dressing down because they have nothing better to do.
A friend of mine watched as three police cars attended an incident in Poole recently. A homeless couple were arguing in the street. No blows were exchanged, but it was getting quite loud. Someone must have complained because three cars and six police officers, three male, three female, screeched up within a few minutes, a struggle ensued and the male was strong-armed over the front of one of the cars. The female then tried to come to his aid and was also restrained. Much arguing and strong language ensued and the pair were arrested. After a while it slowly calmed down and pair were 'de-arrested' (yes, it is a real word).

The police departed, off back to the station, presumably, to spend the rest of the afternoon writing up their reports on this major incident. Meanwhile, a couple of days later, a mile away on Bournemouth beach, a woman was stabbed to death and another seriously wounded. One might see police occasionally down the beach during the day, but never at night when all the mischief occurs.

OK, artie, since you're asking:

A friend of mine watched as three police cars attended an incident in Poole recently.
According to google in 1974 there were around 7000 RUC constables in NI, including reserves, and 6500 PSNI officers in 2024.

Yet when I was growing up RUC cars and land rovers were everywhere, you couldn't turn a corner without meeting one or running into a checkpoint.
Fortunately they were uninterested in minor traffic offences as writing it up took them away from their main purpose. Except of course for the dreaded traffic branch.

In 2024 a police car in it's fancy phycologicaly inspired blue and yellow livery is a rare sight indeed and a foot patrol practically non existent.

I sometimes wonder what they are all doing nowadays.

Luckily we live in one of the lowest crime rate countries in the world.

doubt it unless they are bored. I followed a police car for miles the other evening and right in front of the police car was a car that had no side light or brake light on the left side and the right hand side was stuck on brake light (so was overly bright continually).

The police did nothing. I could understand if it was just a sidelight out but clearly the electrics on this car are up the creek.

Certainly in England you can have a vehicle MOTd any time you like and it will run for 12 months from the date of the actual test, often happens if you buy a s/h car from a dealer who often issues a fresh MOT so no question of booking restrictions except as you said if you want it to run from the expiry date of your current certificte the test must be carried out within one month prior to the expiry date. You can book that months or days ahead, it doesn't matter just depends on the testing station and your own circumstances.

If that's the state in N.I. there must be a lot of rustbuckets and unroadworthy cars on the roads.

Adam - if you have a a pre-1971 'banger', you pay b&**er all tax, pollute more , occupy space and don't even need an MOT!
It is a strange state of affairs. I can sort of understand the no VED, if you only venture out a few times a year, but the no MOT thing is baffling.
My father had to sell his ash and fabric bodied 1930 Riley Monaco for scrap when the MOT was introduced. The tester said it had excessive wear in the (mechanical) brake linkages. I later found out that the brake linkages were designed with "excessive play" to reduce friction. There was, as far as I know, no exemption back then.

Just googled it: in 1960, when the MOT was introduced, that Riley would only have been 30 years old, so wouldn't have been exempt, even if the exemption rule was in place, which it wasn't.

Last edited:
It is a strange state of affairs. I can sort of understand the no VED, if you only venture out a few times a year, but the no MOT thing is baffling.
My father had to sell his ash and fabric bodied 1930 Riley Monaco for scrap when the MOT was introduced. The tester said it had excessive wear in the (mechanical) brake linkages. I later found out that the brake linkages were designed with "excessive play" to reduce friction. There was, as far as I know, no exemption back then.

Just googled it: in 1960, when the MOT was introduced, that Riley would only have been 30 years old, so wouldn't have been exempt, even if the exemption rule was in place, which it wasn't.
I think the exemption was for 25 year old vehicles when it was introduced and has subsequently extended.

Latest posts

Back