British Woodworking - Issue No.5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
April-May issue dropped through my door on Thursday and I have to say it really is getting better with each new issue. I was particularly pleased to see a different name behind each article this time after Nick previously let his feelings now about having to input too much of his own work. He asked for help and it appears to forum has answered! :wink: Nice to see the Letters-section double its usual size too.

An interesting piece from David Savage in English Cherry - just when I was beginning to play a couple of pieces in this timber, I'm thinking I may have to prepare myself to use another species. Ignoring the American stuff, what would you guys use as a substitue?

I'm intrigued by Steve's Mitre-Shooting Board, as it appears you can a just the scrap piece. His solution to the mitre saw dust extraction problem also grabbed my attention - gonna have to try and find some small quantities of "roofing membrane" and give it a try myself. :wink:

Hopefully the articles on dealing with Wood Movement and setting up a bandsaw could hopefully answer a few of the more regular questions on here. :wink: :D

Have you given the Abranet sample a go? It's a bit pricey but, it seems to work incredibley well. No clogging, no over-heating and you just blow the dust away! :shock:

The Living Woods magazine could possibly be one to lookout for, later on.

So, what does the rest of the forum think?

So, what does the rest of the forum think?

I think Nick Gibbs is on to a winner, in fact I'm about to cancel the other magazine with huge arty farty pictures and not much meat that I have been subscribing for the last ten years.

Well done Chas, nice reading. :wink:

I think he is on the right track with BWW...I have already taken out a subscription and have not been disappointed.

I have been using the Abranet for a couple of months, mainly on Oak - I use it with the vac hose and extractor (Trend AF30) works a treat, certainly lasts a lot longer than conventional with minimum dust

OPJ":1xu4lg1u said:
gonna have to try and find some small quantities of "roofing membrane" and give it a try myself. :wink:

The roofing membrane trick works superbly, and the only thing I've had to change is to use an industrial spray adhesive rather than normal DS tape, which didn't last very long. But this adhesive has been on a for a few weeks now and shows no sign of failure. And it really does make a fantastic difference.

I have a piece left over, so if anyone wants a bit just send me an A5 SAE and I'll send you a square. PM me for address. It'll cost you a modest donation to the Multiple Sclerosis Society the next time you pass one of their tin-rattlers.

I'll be back at the end of the week.

Don't forget to change your clocks tonight.

Cheers
Steve

Great mag - I find I read more of the content than the others I get.

The Abranet works great on plaster too - with no dust!!

Rod :)

On the Abranet front, Mark Hancock convinced me that it was worth a punt at Ally Pally, (splashed out for mixed box off TJTools) must say it is getting a fair use and only just getting to the point of needing to ditch the first set of sheets.

Not the be all and end all as far as my turnings concerned but a very useful addition to the wood taming arsenal.

Mind the fingers though if using on the lathe the dust can be warm enough exiting through the mesh to tell you to quit abusing the wood.

On the Nick front, I find his outlook/aspirations worthy of support, it must be difficult trying to temper 'Ideals' with a commercial requirement & make a living.

Bought the first issue but was not too impressed and haven't bought another one since (browsed through each at Smiths) - until today as I have to agree with Olly, it is getting better and with a more varied range of contributors, it will hopefully continue to do so.

Well done nick and the rest.

I was rather pleased that it came with a sample of Mirka Abranet on the front this time... I've been wanting to give it a try but hadn't got around to ordering it yet.

One question though... According to the safety marks on the back of the Abranet sample, ear protection should be worn - Is it really that much louder than normal sandpaper? ;)

Yes, I think Nick is doing a good job with this. The articles were interesting and far enough of the beaten (to death) track to have a freshness about them which made a nice change.

Thanks to everyone for their support. I can't tell you how much it lifts us to have such encouragement from The Forum. And it is really heartening to hear people say that they enjoy reading the mag, as that has been the main ambition from the start. Thanks.

I hope Living Woods magazine will also be appreciated. It certainly will be different, but the core idea is that it encourages the sensible management of forests and woodlands everywhere (particularly in Britain). I'm hoping it will help champion a future for our woodlands by promoting British timber, as well as woodland recreation, fuel and even food from the woods. Trees are arguably the world's most valuable renewable resource and I hope Living Woods will do a little bit to ensure their prosperity.

Oh and it should be a good read, too, and it's out in mid June. Do email me if you'd like a FREE sample issue. (Plug over, Charley!).

Thanks again to everyone who's helped or given us support.

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

Another good issue - long may it continue.

Now you have got Chas (CJC) housetrained, can you get him to do an article on his grinder jig?

I would think that's perfectly possible, Lurker. I'll give him a call. It works really well. He has a couple of other simple jigs for bench grinders that he's made himself.

Any other requests? I've had a couple of great ones recently that we'll be following up on in the next issue.

Cheers

Nick

Any other requests? I've had a couple of great ones recently that we'll be following up on in the next issue.

Nick, any chance of including an article on using Sketchup for woodworking? Even better, include a free project plan/model done on Sketchup to teach how to produce your own model/working drawings. I assume you have access to a CAD type guru!

Don't see any of the competition doing it!

Cheers

We've seen sketchup in the magazines but always a half hearted attempt. A monthly do-able project would make good reading and be valuable to those of use who want to model our projects before splashing out on timber.

WiZeR":20hl84u3 said:
We've seen sketchup in the magazines but always a half hearted attempt. A monthly do-able project would make good reading and be valuable to those of use who want to model our projects before splashing out on timber.

Smashing idea :D

Nick,

Would it be possible to post on your website ( I know you are planning to develop this) SU plans for that Home office cabinet of Steve's.

IIRC Steve is a bit of a wiz with SU.

Another good idea, downloadable plans for most, if not all, of the project featured in the mag. I guess they wouldn't all have to be SU, just a PDF of scaled measurements/drawings.

Maybe you need a dedicated web person (cough)

Just wanted to add a note - and a big thanks to Steve Maskery - to say that after trying out his dust cowl idea on my 12" Bosch mitre saw, I've noticed a significant improvement in the efficiency of the dust extraction!

Nice one Steve! :D

I cut mine about 150/160mm long because my saw is 2" bigger than Steve's! :wink: But the 120mm measurement looks spot on. I also found it a lot easier to remove the black-thing and then glue attatch the membrane - spray adhesive worked superbly, thanks again Steve.

2407508765_939784dc58.jpg

I've got enough left over for one more cowl, if anybody's interested? It's best if you cut and shape it yourself mind, but PM me.

The clamps aren't entirely necessary, I guess, but they kept my hands free and clean. You want the "smooth" side on the inside, so the dust doesn't stick. And, the "softer" side should be the reverse face, which also helps it to adhere with the glue, or so I think. :)

Nice to see and hear of people taking out subscriptions during the Yandles show - keep it up! :D

I've already told Nick privately but I think he's got a great thing going. I've only seen No.4 but I enjoyed it. I like that the same single, fairly complex project was used for a number of articles. It put the entire project together without glossing over the details and yet each article stands alone and has value by itself.

And Nick, the suggestions about covering SketchUp are good. Especially since there isn't really anything useful available currently. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back