British Woodworking - Issue No.5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Maskery":1cdg4083 said:
The roofing membrane trick works superbly, and the only thing I've had to change is to use an industrial spray adhesive rather than normal DS tape, which didn't last very long. But this adhesive has been on a for a few weeks now and shows no sign of failure. And it really does make a fantastic difference.

A picture would be worth a thousand words, can we get a glimpse of this solution? My chopsaw really does mess up places like nothing else and I'm looking for solutions, too. (But you can't get that magazine in Finland).

OPJ":7gsak1dn said:
Have you given the Abranet sample a go? It's a bit pricey but, it seems to work incredibley well. No clogging, no over-heating and you just blow the dust away! :shock:
I've used the Abranet for a while now. I'm actually dumping all of my normal sanding paper, because it so much superior compared to anything else. It costs more, but
- it lasts much longer
- will not clog (and even if it would clog, you can use thinner/white spirits to soak of for example paint)
- dust extraction is a million times better than normal sand paper

But, if you counter the durability of Abranet vs. normal sandpaper, the cost is actually not that much of an issue. One Abranet outlasts at least 2-4 normal sandpapers.

HI Janne
If you email [email protected] you can ask him either to send you every issue or just one for you to try. You can pay by PayPal.

If you email me I'll send you the photo of my solution in action.

If you send me a Stamped Addressed Envelope I'll send you a piece of the material I used.

OPJ
Glad the cowl works as well for you as it does for me.

If anyone else wants a bit, I have a small amount left. SAE secures.

Cheers
Steve

Janne, I've been reconsidering my thoughts on Abranet recently and pretty much agree with your opinions now. For the Hobbyist/part-timer, it could save you a small fortune! How often do you buy new sanding discs and throw out the old ones? I tend to hang on to my worn ones and use it on MDF or for lightly cutting back/denibbing... One pack of Abranet could last us over a year! :shock: :)

Interesting to see this magazine has support from all over the world. :D

OPJ":g02wrf3f said:
Interesting to see this magazine has support from all over the world. :D

Yes, it has even reached the parts of Europe that other mags can not penetrate :lol: :lol:

I tried the sample Abranet and immediately renewed my subscription. My cheapo autostart vac recently stopped auto starting so it will the perfect thing to use with the free Mirka sanding kit.

As everyone has said BWW seems to be going from strength to strength and I think Nick Gibbs has done well to get the mag up to the standard it is now.

I still feel that the reaction by a few people to the start up issue was overdone and a tad insensitive, but thankfully that's water under the bridge now.

On the matter of the new mag. well one can hardly deny that the worlds forrests are a resource which needs protecting so let us hope that 'Living Woods' can help a little in that. I just hope that it will not divert Nick too much from his task of keeping BWW at the forefront of the woodworking publishing world.

Aaargh!
I've been out of the country for the past couple of weeks, so as soon as I got back I shot into the local Screwfix (no-one else seems to stock Abranet) and they've SOLD OUT!

I'll have to wait until new supplies come in. Fortunately that's tomorrow morning.

I've just rung Nick and ordered my subscription...can anyone give me a 'heads up' on the Mirka Abranet sanding gear...looks to be quite good as far as I can tell, where can you also get hold of replacement sheets especially in some of the finer grades? - Rob

Rob I got mine from here:
http://www.RestExpress.co.uk
But others sell it too - just google "Mirka Abranet"

Costs about £10 for a box of 50 sheets.

Have not used it much on wood yet but works great rubbing down plaster!! :lol:

Rod

Sawdust Producer":3ff4mcwl said:
So, what does the rest of the forum think?

I think Nick Gibbs is on to a winner, in fact I'm about to cancel the other magazine with huge arty farty pictures and not much meat that I have been subscribing for the last ten years.

:wink:
I got my knuckles wrapped, because I wrote to complain about the amount of space wasted on 'arty-farty' workers, double-page pictures, and in some case, double-size egos. Excellent crafts-people, yes, but I bet they didn't get where they are, by smoking a pipe in the workshop and ignoring what clients want, so they can indulge their whimsy!

Cheers SP!
John :D

I bought my first copy of this new magazine (Issue 5) yesterday and spent a couple of hours going through it. Whilst not wanting to be negative I have to say I give it about 3 out of 10.

Why so harsh? Basically because it sets a standard that's more or less identical to that of all other British WW magazines.

* The tool tests are merely someone rambling out his opinions, despite the odd attempt to find "objective" criteria. Moreover, there are far too many such "tests," which reduces the amount of other stuff about.... British woodworking. Frankly, a lot of them also sound like puff pieces for the manufacturer. Where are the comparisons across a range of similar tools? Why is a bandsaw with loads of quality issues suddenly OK at the end of the article?

* The writing style is woefully amateurish, with poor syntax and sudden lurches from one thing to another. Everything is both hard to read and very sparse in hard information. There is too much "look at my chatty personality", which is OK for forums but not for good quality magazine articles. The worst aspect is the inability to explain things, which are blithely skimmed over. The author knows what he means therefore so should we, seems to be the attitude - all too common in British WW publications.

* The furniture-making articles are mostly (and sadly) of the "simple pine stuff" standard. As to the thing to hold a ball of string! This so encourages low standards and feeble ambitions. And what of that half-finished article about a book cover!? Just as well, I suppose, as I'd rather darn a sock.

Well, how about some positive comments?

* It's refreshing to see articles covering innovative tool makers, timber qualities and maker-profiles (although I don't know what Garret Hack is doing amongst the British woodworkers, despite his excellent stuff - a contrast to that pine dross). What a pity then that these articles are so badly written, flitting from this thing to that via queer jerky sentences and puzzling asides.

* The bloke who examined the Tormek for use with lathe tools did a good job of giving and explaining his opinions, including the problems or drawbacks.

* I enjoyed David Savage's cherry article, although it was too brief.

I wonder if the magazine will improve? I suspect it is always going to be a tool-oriented and somewhat uncritical vehicle for advertisers. I also suspect that it will continue to adopt that chatty, amateurish style. But I would love to be proved wrong.

Perhaps it needs some professional writers who are also woodworkers?

Meanwhile, Fine Woodworking and an occassional Popular Woodworking (both American) still set the standard for me. This new magazine is as far from those high standards as all the rest of the British oeuvre, in my opinion (admittedly not a humble one).

Lataxe

Hi Lataxe,

I haven't seen the BW magazine yet. I have taken out a sub though to give it a fair trial. So I hold fire on that one.

When I said I'd had my knuckles rapped, I was referring to another magazine, to which I have subscribed since it was first published. Sad to say, it has moved too far away from my ideals.

As for tool reviews, I have always thought that most woodwork magazines devote just too much space to the subject. One tool per issue is plenty I would have thought, but then I have just about every tool I need. All I shall be doing now is moving up-market on a few handtools that I want!.
Regards
John :eek:ccasion5:

Well I liked it, it suits me as an inexperienced apprentice. I would recommend it to anybody in my position, whereas I find other magazines either talk down to me, assume I can afford Festool toilet roll holders, or describe projects that I can't imagine taking on. I enjoyed the whole thing.

Any chance of some more Abranet, Nick?

Lataxe wrote,
* The writing style is woefully amateurish

Steve Maskery and Nick Gibbs amateurish?

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I am to stunned for words :roll:

Is it still April 1st by any chance?

IMHO British Woodworking has got better with each issue and I certainly do not think there is anything amateurish about it. Well done Nick and excellent feature Steve =D> =D> =D>

From what I hear and soon to find out Steves tip about mitre saw dust extraction was worth the price of the mag =D> =D> =D>

Cheers

Mike

To be fair Mike, I think Lataxe was criticising the actual writng, the syntax. (That's an idea for raising revenue!) etc..

As long as I understand what the writer is trying to convey, doesn't insist on using terms like 'should of' and knows the difference between a split-infinitive and a dangling participle I don't mind. :D

John

I can't see much wrong with the writing. Only one thing I would have an issue with, and that not in a main article.

Dick Smith says:

"I would recommend it [British WW magazine] to anybody in my position, whereas I find other magazines either talk down to me, assume I can afford Festool toilet roll holders, or describe projects that I can't imagine taking on".

Of course anyone may have a different opinion and need of a magazine. If you like it, that's fine with me. My opinion of it is just that too - an opinion.

But even so one or two of your phrases are telling.

Personally I prefer an authoritative and reasoned article to a chatty set of anecdotes. If this is being talked down to well I don't mind - as long as the lesson is a good and useful one.

I notice that Mr Maskery has a large collection of Festools for building that rather plain-jane pine thang - rather ironic I thought, in light of your comment concerning to Festool toilet holder (eh?). :) No cheap tacky bandsaws needing bits sawing off and packing out before they'll cut owt in that workshop!

Lastly I must ask you a question about this attitude of "...describe projects I can't imagine taking on". Are you content to fetter your efforts with this lack of confidence and unwillingness to take a risk or two? If so perhaps a run-of-the-mill magazine and them pine thangs are for you.

Lataxe the critical.

No need to insult me as well! There's a big difference between critical and gratuitously offensive.

Can you show me where the English in the mag is below standard? This was one of your major complaints, and I don't see it. And whereas as a woodworker I may be 'run of the mill', when it comes to marking English I'm s**t-hot.

The intended audience seems to be the serious hobbyist. Take Steve's filing cabinet/book case. That would, at the moment, be stretching my abilities and technical skill levels, but in a while I hope to be able to do something like that. His skill has been expressed in the design, not in incorporating levels of difficulty (which I know he could if he wished) which would leave me too far behind to even fantasise. Whereas some projects I have seen elsewhere would require upping my skills to a level of professionalism that isn't likely to happen. So for me the magazine is pitched well.

So I enjoy it. If you don't, then don't buy it, but criticise it for what it does, not what you would like it to be.

I get your drift Lataxe.

With regard to magazines featuring projects that frighten the tyro, I can understand how they feel. I used to feel that way. I still do in some cases. That wouldn't stop me from trying my hand, if I needed something similar to whatever was featured.

What is prohibitive though is the cost of materials for most of these projects and the lack of space in which to make them. For instance, a commission for a conference table would stretch my resources on all fronts! To use such a table in my home, would make my house seem smaller than it is now !

So, if pine thingies are too simple, and the Robert Ingham, David Savage styles are out of our pockets, what would magazine editors publish as projects?
Any ideas for a middle-of-the-road projects?
Regards
John

What I need to get on with - so would like to see some help on:

A decent garden table, rustic style. To be made in green oak.
A well-designed TV unit. One that looks like furniture.
Ideas for small items I can make in a weekend - home or garden.

Skills and techniques - accurate laying out, straight cutting, use of edge tools.

I agree with Benchwayze on another point - I don't have huge amounts of cash to spend on either materials or tools. So small projects keep me interested. I work in a 10x10 shed, so big isn't beautiful!

I really don't see why I shouldn't have a magazine which caters for my interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back