Any tips for a small paint drying station?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart M

Established Member
Reaction score
I was making a bunch of small boxes, and wanted to prime and paint them. At the time, I was also doing small other small jobs on the band saw, as well as some sanding on wood pieces that would become more boxes once painted.

I work in the garage, and have plenty of space in the middle of it, but wall space is mostly taken up by storage, bikes etc. So I end up doing everything in the same area, and I need to work out to get newly-painted wood out of the way, as it often ends up dusty, stuck together, or just generally annoying me.

I use painter's triangles, and they work fairly well, the problems occur when I'm moving stuff around, they move position or topple over.

My current idea is to get a bunch more of the triangles, nail or screw them to a sheet of ply, and move it to a high shelf for drying.

I'm currently using brush / roller, no spray.

Anyone got any ideas??

For one project I had a number of panels that I wanted to oil. I created something similar to a Plate Rack. Built a square base - drilled some 10mm holes and cut some dowel to length. Just used a friction fit so it easy to disassemble and store when not in use.

For one project I had a number of panels that I wanted to oil. I created something similar to a Plate Rack. Built a square base - drilled some 10mm holes and cut some dowel to length. Just used a friction fit so it easy to disassemble and store when not in use.
Exactly what I was about to suggest, only mod I'd do is to chuck the dowel in a cordless drill, then create a dull point on one end of each dowel on the disc sander

I have used one of the plastic greenhouse type things. Various sizes with shelves and not that expensive.

Attachments

• GH71_Weatherproof_Tomato_Plant_Greenhouse_Outdoor_Indoor_Grow-tent-139141_900x.jpg
    GH71_Weatherproof_Tomato_Plant_Greenhouse_Outdoor_Indoor_Grow-tent-139141_900x.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 0
A little tent of the type sold for kiddies?
I thought of something along the same lines. What about the little shade half-tents for small children like you see on beaches? As for the painter's triangles, when I have a small amount of filament left on a spool I may print off a few triangles on the 3d printer. They take minutes to print and pennies to make if you know someone who has a 3D printer.

Last edited:
I've found attaching sets of paint drying pyramids to thin boards really helpful. The individual pyramids are too flimsy and easily moved/flipped. Sets of 3 or 4 attached to a small piece of hardboard are stable and easy to place.

How about using cable clips to attach the pyramids to boards? You have a choice of sizes to suit your pyramids. Just finkin'.
I was wonding whether pegboard and pyramids with dowels in there bases might be a good flexible solution, or maybe a metal board and magnets on the pyramids

this seems excellent for the purpose and with a minimal footprint
Yes, you can put something like cardboard or hardboard on the wire shelves if you need a solid surface. I generally just hang things from the wire shelves on bits of wire.
Inside it takes up very little room, but keeps dust etc off.
Outside it can get to quite a temperature inside so speeds up the drying. If it gets too hot just move it in the shade.
They come in all sorts of sizes, the one in the picture is about £25.

I have used one of the plastic greenhouse type things. Various sizes with shelves and not that expensive.
That is a very interesting solution. From time to time I do some painting of small items and also medium sized items - up to a metre square for example. I just try and finish in as clean a location as possible, which is usually my garage as I have a separate workshop where I do the dusty work.

1724715801941.jpeg

That's a pipe clamp with shelf standards screwed to it and attached to workbench

16" shelf supports will work with 24" wide panels/doors

Compact. easy to store, easy to assemble

This one has only two, but you could do 4

Latest posts

Back