Beginner tools / timber advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If budget is tight, need a cordless drill, but all other electric tools go for corded as there are some bargains around new and used. You have a jigsaw, so prioritise sash clamps, F clamps, biscuit jointer, belt sander, a couple at least one handed clamps and bench mounted woodworking vice if you can. Try not to get side-tracked by expensive gimmicky items and a second hand solid item can be a lot better than a badly designed lightweight import. Take pillar drill stands for example! But a pillar drill may not be essential, practice drilling straight by eye. (I do use a pillar drill quite a lot but am not in the same start-up situation). Toolbox saw, you can even cut decent dovetails with them. Good split proof handled chisels and a claw hammer (I can imagine the frowns, but I like the more definite contact that achieves compared to a mallet, I only use rubber mallets, on work not chisels). I use my block plane a lot, it doens't have to be expensive but a budget adjustable mouth one can work quite well. It's more about getting a job done very well rather than how it is done, or with what, which does not necessarily get a good result....it is the skill which really counts, which comes from determination and practice and discerning what about your tools and methods really matter and adapting to achieve the result you want....you will of course need a good oilstone, especially for planes and chisels. An India will do, but an associated gadget is certainly not essential, even if some do swear by them.

Back