Another chisel logo for identification ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone recognise this logo on an old chisel please?

chisellogo_zpsb227b85e.jpg

TATHS have replied....

Sorry for the delay in answering. I have checked the 1919 list of Sheffield Trade marks registered with The Cutlers Company and this mark isn't listed. I shall make further enquiries and also put your query into our next Newsletter ( due out end September) to see if any members have information.

It seems that it is a FAKE maker's mark.

I got this reply from the Cutlers’ Company. It would seem that what you have is a fake makers mark, possibly from Sheffield in Taiwan.

Brian Read
Newsletter Editor for the Tools and Trades History Society.

Hi, it isn't one of our registered marks, and the 'Sheffield Made' seems a bit odd for a Sheffield manufacturer.
Best wishes,
Joan Unwin
Dr Joan Unwin, Archivist,
The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire,

Wow!

Please can we see a pic of the whole chisel?
Is it any good to use?

Ignore the handle - that's much later

Brian also said...

"In the 1930s it would probably have been the town of Sheffield in Japan, In the 19th century it would have been the one in Germany, or France. ( or possibly Sheffield Park in Sussex in the 17th century)"

fakechisel3_zps2b04f0eb.jpg

fakechisel2_zpsdb0c68d8.jpg

fakechisel1_zpseb91c454.jpg

fakechisel_zps5344494c.jpg

Interesting. If that's a fake, it's a VERY good one.

The handle looks like a replacement, so not too much can be deduced from it. The blade, however, looks to be classic Sheffield (the proper one). Thin blade, with very fine lands tapering slightly from tip to shoulder. The grind angle of the bevels are also 'right'. The shape of the shoulder is classic late 19th/early to mid 20th century, and the octagonal bolster is also classic Sheffield.

Without giving it a sharpen up and test-drive, I won't say categorically that it's the real thing, but it certainly looks the part.

That still leaves the puzzle of the mark. It's an oddity for sure - 'Warranted Sheffield Made' is unusual, and the sans-serif font used suggests 20th century (which fits with shoulder shape). I'll speculate that it was made either between the wars, or under wartime restrictions and not under a Ministry of Supply contract. That still doesn't pin down the trademark, though.

Yes, your speculations are agree with those mentioned in my text above and just before the photos.

Back