portable chisel storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess if left for a long time unattended in the roll then damp may be a problem.
I have a canvas roll with leather reinforcement at the sharp end but I don't store them in the roll for the reason Orraloon points out. I don't have a rust problem in my workshop but have had problems with rust 'staining' on items stored in cloth or leather. I made a wet-pressed leather shoe for a No4 plane for transporting it in a toolbox. Forgot about it for around a year. When I took it out of the shoe the sole and sides were covered in 'contact' rust. Not a big deal, a light rub with wet and dry cleaned it up but an inconvenience all the same.
1722062491090.png

Last edited:
Perhaps a dartboard would be best.

TBH I dont see the point of making a super smart box to keep chisels and saws etc in. That seems more about adoration of the tools rather than using them for what they are.

Maybe put them in a glass case so you can sit and stare lovingly at them.
I personally just enjoy challenging making things

Canvas and leather rolls have worked for hundreds of years because all edge tools were sharpened with oil so naturally didn't rust as the tool was thoroughly coated in light oil residue, as were the rolls.

I did see an old boy who stored his chisels in a tray with what appeared to be baking parchment/ grease proof paper, lightly sprayed in oil/WD? laid under and over them. He transported them to site this way.

thanks well i aas thinking about this yesterday so got my chisels out from their tool roll where they've sat for the last couple months since I used them last to check if they were OK,
and they've just started to tarnish in places where it looks like I've left finger prints on them or something similar .
I srubbed them with some fine sand paper and wd40 following the direction of the original finish but I was pretty annoyed about it .
looked up the steel used and apparently its a2 tool steel which is a bit prone to corrosion so I don't think I'll go with a tool roll .
was reading earlier about a sort of atomiser that keeps the air in whatever box yout using to store your chisels spritzed with lubricant .
I'll try to find a link in case anybody is interested
https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/shiel...-toolguard-vci-corrosion-inhibitor-single-tub

I don't believe that tool rolls were contemplated for long-term storage of a large 'collection' :rolleyes: of chisels. There was an implicit assumption that they would be out of the roll more than they would be in it. And went put away, like another poster mentioned, would inevitably have a little oil on them from the stones or the proverbial oily rag wipe-down before being put away. Furthermore, they would go down into a chest or at least a drawer and not be sitting out in atmosphere. The ones I'm using at the moment live in the well with other necessities. And as you can see, a Marples Blue Chip, a Marples mortise chisel, and another no-name Sheffield made chisel. Definitely not a collection with which one could make six mortgage payments.

Attachments

• Messy_tool_well.jpg
    Messy_tool_well.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't believe that tool rolls were contemplated for long-term storage of a large 'collection' :rolleyes: of chisels. There was an implicit assumption that they would be out of the roll more than they would be in it. And went put away, like another poster mentioned, would inevitably have a little oil on them from the stones or the proverbial oily rag wipe-down before being put away. Furthermore, they would go down into a chest or at least a drawer and not be sitting out in atmosphere. The ones I'm using at the moment live in the well with other necessities. And as you can see, a Marples Blue Chip, a Marples mortise chisel, and another no-name Sheffield made chisel. Definitely not a collection with which one could make six mortgage payments.
And a proper marking knife and Cabinet screwdrivers with what looks like a Marples boxwood Chisel, maybe not "what you would make six mortgage payments" but you can do excellent woodwork with.
I’ve always said that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to be able to do do excellent work with this hobby of ours, just might take a little longer without the fancy stuff.
Ian

And a proper marking knife and Cabinet screwdrivers with what looks like a Marples boxwood Chisel, maybe not "what you would make six mortgage payments" but you can do excellent woodwork with.
I’ve always said that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to be able to do do excellent work with this hobby of ours, just might take a little longer without the fancy stuff.
Ian

Woodworking with an overabundance of tools and using multiple times the amount of stock needed for a job wouldn't interest me a bit. There's nothing about it that indicates craftsmanship.

It's like a lousy surgeon piling up bodies until he learns some basic surgical technique. Pretty pictures of a finished project that don't show the huge pile of waste out back don't quite give a complete picture.

Nice screw drivers

Not many chisels, and not exclusively chisels, but this is a recent revision of my site handtools.

I wanted everything where I can get it without having to rifle/dig through layers of rubbish like my old tool tote. It should also be apparent if something is missing by a visible gap.

Attachments

• 20240805_184017.jpg
    20240805_184017.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Now you're just showing off 🤣
I am not sure that you could use these ideas in a box, however these are drawers (in a cabinet under my bench) and may offer some inspiration.

Each drawer has a sliding tray. Top level ...

13.jpg

Lower level ...

Top level ...

Lower level ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am not sure that you could use these ideas in a box, however these are drawers (in a cabinet under my bench) and may offer some inspiration.

Each drawer has a sliding tray. Top level ...

13.jpg

Lower level ...

Top level ...

Lower level ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Not many chisels, and not exclusively chisels, but this is a recent revision of my site handtools.

I wanted everything where I can get it without having to rifle/dig through layers of rubbish like my old tool tote. It should also be apparent if something is missing by a visible gap.
not sure what's missing but this is the kind of thing I was hoping for . I have been considering adapting an old dewalt drill box and doing something similar . Nice to see someone has made it work for them

Back