New road tax charging rules wont just affect EV OR just new vehicles, its retrospectively changes your tax band

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shortfall in revenue from VED can also be attributed to the reduced number of young people not driving or owning a vehicle due to costs of insurance.
I'm not sure about that. In my region, the young drivers abound. Nothing wrong with that.

A note to those EV haters, I'm being priced off the road.

Car insurance £394 and just renewed it but it took me days of searching to find that price from the same insurer that also quoted me £550 on a different comparison site.
If the wonderful Government are expecting me to be able to fork out for RFL too they can go do one because it's not going to happen.
My only income is the state pension and I don't qualify for pension credit because they decided to pay me the full state pension which according to the .gov website I'm not entitled to because I serped out in the 80's but hey they've ignored that fact and gave me £3 extra so I don't qualify. Bless them.
It will be a cold winter for me, thanks Heir (Hitler) Starmer.

Having suffered ill health for 14 years (12 years diagnosed) I foolishly thought reaching pension age would be a relief but how wrong I am, it's just got harder.

Roll on my expiry date, let's get this over with.

@Sachakins I take your point but I feel it’s semantics. The proposed changes are in reality a change in the banding, just dressed up. The issue is that as more EVs hit the road tax revenue decreases, and since the majority of the VED is not spent on roads, they need something to fill the black hole. The biggest issue that will raise its head very soon is the collapse of the £21+ billion raised on fuel duty every year. That is effectively a tax per mile, and something needs to replace that lost revenue. When taken as a whole, to maintain the gravel train for what ever party is in government, the overall cost of driving an EV compared to an ICE is going to be greater. So, a significant financial disadvantage to being ‘green’. The biggest losers will be the poor and those living in rural places…….

Rural road, maintained now that is funny, lived on my pot holed road for over forty years and no work has ever been done without it being a major event i.e. when the amount of water that comes down our road whenever it rains lifted the tarmac off the surface and took it two miles into the village, no surface water drains for over ten miles, this being the WILDS of Kent.

what ever party is in government, the overall cost of driving an EV compared to an ICE is going to be greater. So, a significant financial disadvantage to being ‘green’. The biggest losers will be the poor and those living in rural places…….
The cost of EV vs ICE is down to tax policy and behaviours government want to encourage.

For the last few years EV, if charged at home, has been materially cheaper to run than ICE. Benefit in kind company car tax has also massively favoured EV. Both encouraged EV adoption despite the price of EV being higher than ICE.

The benefits for EV owners are beginning to reverse - BIK will increase slightly over the next few years, discussion over how the loss of fuel duties will be recovered.

Excessive sales of ICE above a quota to be penalised by fines.

What happens in the future will also be determined by:
  • the behaviours government want to promote - probably favouring EV
  • the feasibility of how tax revenues can be raised - universal road pricing, motorways only, tax charging points, increase VED etc etc
  • increasing fines for ICE sales to encourage move to EV
  • separate taxation regimes for ICE (continued fuel duty) vs EV (road pricing)
Whether the total cost of motoring increases over current levels, or which users are penalised at the expense of others is entirely up for grabs. For instance - should they so choose - city dwellers could all face congestion charges, rural dwellers may face no local road miles charges.

This is the first time VED rules will be applied retrospectively to the best of my knowledge. I’ve checked a few🤯

I believe this is incorrect. I have a kitcar that has an age-related plate (H 1991), so is taxed via the old system of over or under 1549cc. The tax rates for this have changed numerous times.

I haven't had it on the road for many years and last I remember I was paying around £250 a year for the over 1549cc (annoyingly by about 40cc's) category. Just checked current price and it's now £345!!

Actually might now be worth an engine swap to a smaller (more efficient and lighter) engine, or even perhaps a look at converting to EV.

So the VED not changing has only been true since 1st March 2001 from my understanding.

I note all the above, but can't understand why the majority of potholes are on roads inaccessible to lorry's
We’ll need a civil engineer to chip in for a good answer in this one but I suspect it has to do with the design and maintenance of the road.
A road is a lot more than a bit of tarmac.

What looks like a country lane next to our house is in perfect condition and has a concrete base extending quite far as I found out when trying to put up a fence.
There used to be a quarry just around the corner.

Road design wikipedia

I note all the above, but can't understand why the majority of potholes are on roads inaccessible to lorry's
My post was said with my tongue firmly in my cheek, as to needing a Civil Engineer will a Structural Engineer do, my own discipline.

Last edited:
Rural road, maintained now that is funny, lived on my pot holed road for over forty years and no work has ever been done without it being a major event i.e. when the amount of water that comes down our road whenever it rains lifted the tarmac off the surface and took it two miles into the village, no surface water drains for over ten miles, this being the WILDS of Kent.
We were in Kent with the motorhome and a little car last year and I thought our roads in Northumberland were bad until that visit. The worst I've had the dubious pleasure of driving over in the UK, even the buses and lorries were having to swerve around the multitude of potholes. :confused:

The benefits for EV owners are beginning to reverse - BIK will increase slightly over the next few years,
Hi @Terry - Somerset, Agreed & I think the govt will be walking a tightrope on increasing the BIK tax, as that is what is currently driving the fleet sales (Fleet accounted for almost 80% of total sales in April & private sales are dropping)
If they push BIK tax too close to PHEV or ICE, then some employees will decide to just go for the more convenient option & ditch EV.
I would and I only went EV in my last car due to the new BIK @ £34 per month vs £470 per month on my previous car. It was basically a bribe to go electric & you are penalised if you didn't.
With this current govt it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get this & just hammered EV's more on BIK too.

For those thinking of getting an EV, just remember what happened when we were advised to buy diesel! They put up the price of bloody diesel for a start and now they are like smokers - a pariah or whatever it's called!!

A note to those EV haters, I'm being priced off the road.

Car insurance £394 and just renewed it but it took me days of searching to find that price from the same insurer that also quoted me £550 on a different comparison site.
If the wonderful Government are expecting me to be able to fork out for RFL too they can go do one because it's not going to happen.
My only income is the state pension and I don't qualify for pension credit because they decided to pay me the full state pension which according to the .gov website I'm not entitled to because I serped out in the 80's but hey they've ignored that fact and gave me £3 extra so I don't qualify. Bless them.
It will be a cold winter for me, thanks Heir (Hitler) Starmer.

Having suffered ill health for 14 years (12 years diagnosed) I foolishly thought reaching pension age would be a relief but how wrong I am, it's just got harder.

Roll on my expiry date, let's get this over with.
My insurance was the same price with a company named after Scandinavian Folk lore, then I asked the meerkats, they put me onto Lloyds Bank @ £125. Then came covid, up went car tax, out went my car! Now I look back with no regrets. Two fingers up to you 'Orrible little man', no more tax outa me on that subject. :mad:
Gone BUT not forgotten (now residing in NI)

Attachments

• IMG_5054.JPG
    IMG_5054.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
We’ll need a civil engineer to chip in for a good answer in this one but I suspect it has to do with the design and maintenance of the road.
A road is a lot more than a bit of tarmac.

What looks like a country lane next to our house is in perfect condition and has a concrete base extending quite far as I found out when trying to put up a fence.
There used to be a quarry just around the corner.

Road design wikipedia
There is one gravel road remaining within the urban area of my town, its only maintenance is by the residents. As soon as potholes are filled (no tarmac) the next rains wash them out again, now the lane matches all the other roads!!!!
I've driven on smoother gravel / dirt roads in Scandinavia than our roads, didn't see any potholes, that I remember. The roughest surface I experienced was the Raki road to the Finnish/Ruskie border, but that was graded ballast, still allowing up to 50mph in a motorhome (probably didn't do the coil springs much good, as time would show, by both breaking 2 years later whilst parked on my drive).

Back