1/2" Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer4u

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to buy a 1/2" router and have never bought one before.
What would be a good brand to buy?
I intend it to use on mdf for shelving and other similar projects.

Thanks

Look for a Dewalt 625 or others seem to like the Hitachi, branded as Hikoki these days. Either way these are large heavy machines that you should do some homework on as it is also important to understand the direction of travel and the fact you often need to make multiple passes rather than just a single big cut to ensure safe use. For some jobs a 1/4 router is easier to use.

Take a look at

https://www.wealdentool.com/kb/quick-tips/routing-techniques/cutting-wrong-direction/

https://www.wealdentool.com/kb/rons-tips/general/guide-bush-cutter-offset/

and here is another useful set of info

https://www.wealdentool.com/kb/rons...MCRGgOJltmnciWAIOPVe7IUKB4HHoLT5z3TUgonTykgcj

Hi,

Thanks
What sort of budget do you have? That will possibly narrow down your choice more than anything else

Hi and welcome- if you have never purchased or used a 1/2 “ router then tread carefully. As above in terms of understanding the limits of the tool and safe use are paramount to your safety . If you have never used any router before then buy a cheap as chips 1/4 “ plunge router to get familiar with. A 1/2 “ is a beast of a machine and as @Spectric is saying just because you have the power of a 1/2” machine does not mean you can make your cut in a single pass . Maybe give us a bit more information on what you intend making and the type of cut you’re planning- dado, edge profile , drilling holes etc .also be aware that a lot of large 1/2” cutters are designed for router tables and should not be used hand held..

May I suggest the Triton MOF001 - comes as 1/4" + 8mm but 1/2" and 12mm collets are easily available.

You have to consider several things - weight of the machine, Plunge depth, control of cutting depth, ease of changing cutter bits, turning effect on start up, Guide bush fittings / size.

I suggest you go to a tool fair or a Tool shop that holds a wide range of tools such as D&M tools or Axminster (other tools shops are available).

I hardly ever use the 1/2'' hand held as it is awkward to control. Last ten years it has not come out of the router table. If you are new to routers and intend using it hand held then 1/4'' plunge router is the way to go. I would also avoid trim routers if you are a beginner as there is more chance of injury. With a plunge router as long as you have both hands on the handles then its pretty hard to get injured. Holding a trim router one handed still worries me a bit.
Regards
John

Hi,

Thanks
The Triton will do above table changes if you ever want to mount it in a router table.
The DeWalt 624 and 625 are solid and the same as the trend t11

The collet construction seems to be the main difference to the cheapies.

I have a dw624 for sale if you go that way

I have an old axminster 1/4inch router which i use very infrequently for work on small pieces. I find that size manageable for hand held work.

I also have a Triton TRA001, which after being repaired under warranty by Triton is a super table mounted router. It is much too unwieldy for me to use freehand and it's much safer in a table. I also find the dust clearance superb in use with my normal extractor.

The particular reason why I bought the Triton was the ability to raise and lower from above the table using the supplied crank. This saved umpteen frustrations adjusting the height to the level I want!

Latest posts

Back