Workshop Fire Safety - Networked Fire Alarms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a member of a mailing list on "groups.io", the old yahoo.groups, used by owners of Harrison metalworking lathes to keep in touch and help each other out.

A member of the mailing list recently shared the bad news that he lost his entire workshop including some heavyweight lathes and milling machines, in a sizeable fire. Think 40 firefighters in attendance !
Fortunately he was insured but it is still massively disruptive.

It got me wondering, like probably everyone else, how safe is my own workshop ? what are the biggest risks ? what could I do to improve ?

As my workshop is the garage attached to our house, I realised that one of the obvious things I've overlooked is a smoke / heat alarm with some sort of remote that would sound off inside the house if a fire developed after I had finished and closed up the workshop for the day.

The answer seems to be the newer style smoke alarms that are radio linked so one goes off, all go off.
There are many end user complaints about the types that rely on a 10 year lithium battery only lasting 2 or 3 years in practice, with poor customer service and inadequate guarantees. The cost of remote type alarms is high if they have battery powered but achieve only a short life and not the 10 years claimed. I guess I need alarms that can be mains powered and have replaceable batteries for backup.

I don't want a google smart thing. Just not reliable enough, but I would be very interested in any recommendations please.

Thanks in advance.

My immediate thought - prevention is better than cure - so have a look at all sources of potential fire starting. Don't forget spontaneous combustion risks - like rags in bins.

Second - maybe if you can install a sprinkler to give you a head start in extinguishing it.

Then a mains smoke alarm system is good - but even they do have a life and we just replaced ours after 10 years - so make sure you get a main brand which will be around in 10 years - that way to replace just the head not base as well. Link them all up to the house - because priority number one has to be the safe evacuation of you and yours. I am not sure they are linked via radio - I think the signal goes through the wiring. Certainly with ours the upstairs landing one goes off as well when it is supper time. Heat detectors are good as well - just get the right type - I think those for kitchens are designed to trigger with a more rapid rise in temperature.

Do post back what you decide on - will be an interesting thread.

Although there are 'radio' ones out there- I'd stay clear of them- they tend to have rather short ranges (especially if going through multiple walls) the lower the signal, the harder they pull on the battery!!!- wired ones tend to be a LOT easier to set up (especially in attached buildings where you can access the ceilings of each point from the loft lol)

Although it isn't an actual requirement (yet...AFAIK) it is advisable to use the 'red smoke alarm mains cable' rather than just standard mains cable- so it can be identified easily and someone doesn't 'tap into it' later on, plus they are usually 4 core for the 'group alarm' systems (ie Active, Neutral, Earth and Signal/Alarm)
1729145749892.png

Plus of course, it is best to have them have their own feed from the consumer unit, rather than 'sharing the lights' as was often done with older installs- what happens if it is a faulty light that starts the fire- and kills the power to the lighting circuit????- oops, you just lost everything except the local alarm in there!!!

Back