Woodex 08

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change for tea? I'm sure the nice people at Turners' Retreat and AI will be happy to swap some nasty crinkly stuff for small change - expect they'll even throw in something sharp and shiny (I do not need another slick, I do not need another slick, I do not...)

CHJ":34v41d6w said:
Some are not listed, they are represented on other stands though

We're there but not listed (although I'm not conceited enough to think that our attendance will make people flock to the show!).
I won't be there in person but Mark will be doing his demonstration for us.

As a standholder (of sorts) it'll be interesting to see how the show does.

Steve,

(I do not need another slick, I do not need another slick, I do not...)

That was a bit of a stupid thing to say :shock:

You realise Waka will see that as a challenge :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, the Sorby 3 3/8" does look nice, but maybe a gaggle of gouges would be an acceptible substitute?
Good job I didn't mention the F-tool word.

Thanks Chas. I wasn't scrolling far enough down the page. Hmmm... must get more practise scrolling.

Although there's nothing there to really grab me, I might pop over if I get an opportunity because it's fairly local. Much will depend on His Lordship's work rota for the weekend (which he won't receive until Friday) so I can't say when I (or we) might pitch up, if at all.

Gill

Tempting as I have friends who live close by but I am off to the West Coast of Scotland for a week Saturday. Any places worth going to wood wise up there anyone know?

Pete

Pete,

You could visit Karl Hotley in Lairg

By West I guess you only mean Oban/Fort William area.
I found some teak planks on a beach near Mallaig last year, so keep your eyes open

Real Scotland starts north of Inverness really :lol:

I will be up Thurso way for the next 5 weeks if you get that far - a mere 1200 mile round commute :cry: .

Back from woodex, if you are local or within easy travelling distance then free entry makes it more like a visit to a specialized shopping mall than a full blown exhibition.

They are allocated reduced hall space (about 2/3max) this year and we found it very cramped to weave our way around the stands, a case of queuing to get to the front on the more popular must haves.

Extremely difficult for the less well able to negotiate the isles in places, just wide enough for a wheel chair.

More wood turner and craft orientated than general cabinet making is the impression I got.

Several of the usual turning, carving and craft clubs with displays.

Lots of demonstration turners both 'names' and club members.

Several low cost (one notch up from market stall standard) tool stands, Proops and the like.

Several sellers of peripheral products with a tenuous links into the wood/craft market, do you need a revolutionary broom?.

The usual Ashley Isles-Robert Sorby-Craft supplies-Chestnuts finishes T&J Tools(Abranet) etc. if replacement bits/stock required.

Star Adhesives with their range of CA glues saved me Postage costs.

Found enough little extras to spend my pocket money on that the bigger names had brought along that maybe are not always available at a stockists like Yandles.

For me it was worth the trip being able to find all the consumables I needed under one roof, but a grand wood industry exhibition it is not.

I agree with Chas. Some nice marquetry just inside the entrance to the right, otherwise what you would expect from a "craft" fair. Pity there was so little cabinet making exhibits/equipment. I would have been peeved if I had paid an entrance fee.
Bob

Dammit, missed everyone - so made up for it with a Clico #5

... and then the #4 looked left out. Oops.

Speaking of which, the new Clico bullnose looks good, and apparently the block may still be on the cards.

Had to escape before I started looking at slicks again.

Cheers
Steve

Just back from my visit to woodex (1h20 drive either way) and I am pleased to say that I had an enjoyable 3 hours looking round.

As a turner, I was pleased with the displays of peoples work and the numerous demos on offer and would have been happy to pay a modest entrance fee (although free is always good!). In fact i think the show was better than this years Ally Pally, but that, I'm afraid, would not have been difficult to achieve.

I would like to offer my congratulations to the organisers for their efforts in trying to turn round a show which I was lead to belive would be a waste of my time and fuel.

I for one will be attending Winter Woodex in October.

Back