Wobble?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morag Jones

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I’m pretty new to turning and have noticed my new chuck has a wobble. Put my first bowl onto the small jaws and in no time the dovetail burst. Out of interest I put the flat plate on the spindle and yes, it wobbled too. So have I somehow bent the spindle?

I had a go at chunk of oak yesterday. The roughing gouge wanted to pulse in and out all the time. I thought it was my lack of technique and it’s taking time to dress off the corners. First time switching on it slipped and went very out if balance before I got to ge switch.

Anyone got suggestions? It’s a Record CL1 36, 3/4 x 16 thread.

Sorry if this is an idiotic question….

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    3.8 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB
If you run the lathe with just the chuck on can you feel a "pulse" from the chuck?
From your message to me- I discovered the wobble/alignment issue I had was mostly due to my stand not being level, once I levelled it up the issue improved, I still have to true a piece up once I turn it round but rarely by much. Have you made sure your two rails are level along their length and across them both at each end?

If you run the lathe with just the chuck on can you feel a "pulse" from the chuck?
From your message to me- I discovered the wobble/alignment issue I had was mostly due to my stand not being level, once I levelled it up the issue improved, I still have to true a piece up once I turn it round but rarely by much. Have you made sure your two rails are level along their length and across them both at each end?
Thanks I will check out levels. Perhaps something went out if true when the oak block shifted. I took another look this morning. I have a shim made from milk bottle and the inside hole was a bit mean, so I have trimmed it, no difference. Loads at the turners group suggested the shim s I don’t get the chuck stuck. Removed it and bingo. No wobble. There must be the tiniest difference in the thickness across the shim.
Doesn’t quite explain why the mounting plate wobbles though…

Sure this has only just started as I didn’t have any problem doing a little bit of spalted beech… (it’s a ring stand - I always take it off to do woodwork).

One step forward and 2 steps back!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    828.6 KB
The mounting plate will do whatever the chuck does, glad you've solved the issue 😁
I rarely remove my chuck but when I do I've never had issue with it being stuck, when I do remove it though I will clean the flat surfaces off with a little wd40 to help prevent rust building up and fusing the chuck in place.

The mounting plate will do whatever the chuck does, glad you've solved the issue 😁
I rarely remove my chuck but when I do I've never had issue with it being stuck, when I do remove it though I will clean the flat surfaces off with a little wd40 to help prevent rust building up and fusing the chuck in place.
The mounting plate I tried was one that goes straight on the spindle, so that was why I thought it was the spindle. I have got the more robust Record one too that goes on the chuck, but it is still in it's oily wrapper!

I shall have to take a serious look at the stability of my bench. As I say to HWMBO, I will add it to my list!

Thanks for the advice and PS, the cherry rough bowls are sitting in shavings getting a little stir now and again. Have to confess getting help with those 😁

The mounting plate I tried was one that goes straight on the spindle, so that was why I thought it was the spindle. I have got the more robust Record one too that goes on the chuck, but it is still in it's oily wrapper!

I shall have to take a serious look at the stability of my bench. As I say to HWMBO, I will add it to my list!

Thanks for the advice and PS, the cherry rough bowls are sitting in shavings getting a little stir now and again. Have to confess getting help with those 😁
Ahhh, I have one of those too but usually use the ring that came with the chuck unless I feel the need for more screws to hold the piece as the threaded one has double the number of scre holes.
It's surprising how much vibration and shake a piece can cause, even if only a little out of balance.
How are they looking? Do you weigh them at all? It's a good way to tell when they have stabilised as the weight loss will stop.

Well some progress after checking out the levels etc. Firstly the 2 rails are very nearly true, maybe a hair's breadth difference in the bubble of the level.

I moved the tailstock up to the drive end and found that the drive end had moved off line by quite a bit. Binned the milk bottle washer, maybe will replace with a piece of greaseproof paper wiped with oil if I do anything.

Wobbles are just about eliminated and next up is to beef up the bench. And construct a chip catcher. And a rack for the longer gouges, as they are likely to breed...

Thanks for the help
M

Ahhh, I have one of those too but usually use the ring that came with the chuck unless I feel the need for more screws to hold the piece as the threaded one has double the number of scre holes.
It's surprising how much vibration and shake a piece can cause, even if only a little out of balance.
How are they looking? Do you weigh them at all? It's a good way to tell when they have stabilised as the weight loss will stop.
I never thought to weigh them! I love a graph. The wall thicknesses are about 35mm so it will be a while.

Back