Will I need 2 chucks? Large and small.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm saving the pennies to buy tools and tooling before the lathe. I've never really been interested in getting into turning but I'd like to make some small handles for files and maybe the odd knob for furniture. I was thinking of the SC2 small chuck but wondered if I were to get a bigger chuck, would I still be able to spindle turn small diameters, say less than 20mm?

Look for a chuck that comes with a few sets of jaws.
VIPER2PACK Scroll Chuck Package in carry case - Kendal Tools & Machinery
That kind of thing. One chuck can be made to do a whole lot just by using other jaws.
Great as chucks are it is also worth exploring the older ways of mounting wood on a lathe. Can get the job done at times when the right jaws are not there. Generally for small spindle work it can mostly be done without a chuck. The term spindle work means its done between centers. Face plate work is for bowls and larger stuff. Chucks have mostly taken over face plate work now but its still worth getting some practice at it.
Regards
John

I'm saving the pennies to buy tools and tooling before the lathe. I've never really been interested in getting into turning but I'd like to make some small handles for files and maybe the odd knob for furniture. I was thinking of the SC2 small chuck but wondered if I were to get a bigger chuck, would I still be able to spindle turn small diameters, say less than 20mm?

Yes is the answer to that. as with Phils point.

But i think it depends also on the size and quality of lathe you have.
I bought the RP SC2(is that the RP2000 ?) which will do little things up to medium things, but more importantly i think, it wont place any undue strain on the main bearing as my lathe is a basic Axminster affair.
Quality lathes will have quality bearings, but cheaper lathes dont, so smaller chuck is going to put less strain on it

Don’t forget, you can turn a lot on a lathe between centres and personally, I would use this method rather than a chuck for items such as the file handles you mention and possibly the knobs too.
Also, while a big chuck can hold small workpieces, it will likely require a jaw change plus the larger chuck body can sometimes get in the way.

Last edited:
I only have 1 chuck with 1 set of 50mm jaws but can easily hold 20mm stuff by using the relief gap in the centre, it's not as good as small jaws but it's perfectly safe for small stuff you're not putting much pressure on.

Latest posts

Back