Multi tools, huh! What are they good for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh - i had one of those in the 70's i think - it had a tooth pick and tweezers , if i remember correctly
Both are surprisingly useful. It’s a shame my Alox SAK doesn’t have them. An oversight by Victorinox.

I was given a small ask to go on my key ring. I found it really useful from time to time. Then I went through airport security and had it confiscated. Bought another one so as not to have to admit how stupid as was to swmbo. Next work trip same thing, replaced it again. Next work trip was to Israel on El Al. Oddly they didn’t detect it on the way out, but they did stop me bringing it back. Gave up after that!

I have a Leatherman and a few SAKs, don't use them all that often as the workshop is only a few steps away and has every purpose-made tool I could need. That said either is useful on camping trips and if opening a package I'll always reach for a SAK, I like their blades. I think my love for them dates from seeing them in a local shop window as a young lad. Back then (40 years ago!) I could only dream about buying a fancy SAK, they were for other (better-off) people to buy! Although I do remember many small corner shops sold small penknives then and I don't think it was a big deal for a minor to buy one.

At home we have a small toolkit in the kitchen drawer but we regularly hire narrowboats and my Leatherman always comes along too. Small enough to shove in a pocket and useful for fixing bits of boat that have worked loose, undoing covers on torches, remote controls etc to replace batteries and the like.

PS I like the Frankie reference in the title @Pallet Fancier
Edwin Starr, surely?

I have a Leatherman Wave, second one first was take, along with a laptop, but nothing else, by a burglar about 20 years ago. Shows that my policy of owning nothing worth stealing pays off!
I find it very handy, but can't believe it doesn't have a corkscrew.

Many moons ago when the need was strong and many around me carried them , Leatherman,Gerber and SOG were the goto choices..I picked Gerber (to my regret as it snapped clean in half in the same year) but in hindsight I’d have picked the SOG as they really were built to last.
It particularly bugs me that back then it was our own hard earned coin getting these to do the job whereas they’re now a standard issue item in certain theatres, even more so because my multi fuel Coleman stove got swiped the day I left and those are now standard issue too!

Probably , i have a few
Leatherman
Stanley
other - cant remember

I do take then with me on holiday
1 is in the car all the time

And just purchased some E-bikes this week , so again will be with me on routes

i have used a few times

Legally as the Blades all lock on mine, I'm not sure i'm allowed to carry a locking knife

you can't use most of the blades if they don't lock in as many are double sided but it's classed as a Multi tool not a knife

I dislike SAKs as I never found that would hold its edge, and found most of the accoutrements useless. I was bought a Leatherman but I have no idea where it is now as I don't recall ever using it. I do however carry a very good quality illegal lock knife.
Same here regarding SAK & Leatherman. I have a couple of filleting knives, a Bowie, & a VERY large French folding knife, 11" long folded!, not to mention a 1917 303 bayonet.

Ive a pair of Leatherman Charge XTI's one lives in my Fishing kit rucksack other used to in shotgun kit.
Have the add ons so can use sockets etc and have the clips you load with bits to fit on holders so can have Flat.phillips.poz.torq.alen fixings
Diamond files been used a lot

Latest posts

Back