What tree is this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingy man

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all , can anyone please identify this tree and is the wood useable in turning or box making.. Tia

Attachments

• IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4259.jpeg
    IMG_4259.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
  • IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
Yes willow I'd say.
I cut down a large tree a few years ago and tried turning some but ended up giving the whole lot away for burning. As an aside if you get a lot of wasps around the tree at this time of year it's a giveaway as the trees extrude sap. aphids suck it up and poop out a sugary substance which wasps feed on.

Willow. One of the few plants even I can grow.
Neighbours had one at the back, they got some lads in to chop it down. I was sad as it added a lot of green and movement to our view, but they tossed a 2'length of the trunk over to me and said just dig a hole and plant this. The willow happily hopped the fence where we keep it coppiced and it can sprout several feet of new growth in a year.

Another vote for willow from me. Funny how a picture of a tree can bring back a memory of sore arms.

My pal and I once chopped down a willow tree for a friend of his. It was a big old dead standing thing which looked 'manageable', the naivety of youth. We eventually got it down chainsawed it into rounds, trailered them to his house and spent all day swinging an axe to split it. In a double length single garage it took up all of one side, floor to ceiling. He rang me the next day to check if I could move my arms, as he was having issues, took me a couple of days before I could lift a mug of tea without both hands. 30+years ago now but can still see the tree and his garage full of split wood. Happy days

Yes , Willow for sure, best not to ever plant willow close to your home as the roots will clog up you drainage tile and worse if on a septic system with a field the roots will destroy it.
Imagine a Capability Brown landscape with far reaching vistas , that's where it belongs.
I have seen the damage caused by the roots. $
But I like the tree and find they are very elegant, especially the weeping variety.

I agree on willow, can't quite tell which species of willow though, there are several. It can be as difficult as cherry to stop from cracking/splitting and generally has a plain grain, however the stuff I have contains a blue like colouration in the spalting.

I also agree. Looks like a willow. I had to cut one down that we planted about twenty years ago. Was always sickly. We cut it up for burning. It does not have a reputation for putting out BTUs, but it catches fire readily. We used it mainly to start the wood-burner, then added other more dense woods.
It is a relatively soft timber, and gnarly-grained, probably due to its many branches. I tend to keep the oaks, cherry, hop-hornbeam, dogwood, beeches, and birches for making chisel handles. We have few hickory trees around here.

Poplar is very popular for cottage/camp Woodstoves due to its relative low cost compared to hardwood. Best not to load a stove up and damper it down for the sleeping hours or the creasote will build up in chimney pipes.
Agreed! Unlike many others, I find that cleaning the flue is required two or three times each winter. Part of the problem is that we have a high-efficiency stove, and we must damp it down at night so it goes not get too hot in the homestead. The creosote builds up quickly! And thickly!

Well thanks to all for the replies, I was looking at it today from roof height and did think for a few seconds it looks like a willow but I dismissed it as it’s not weeping but it’s growing from next doors garden and the 2 main limbs are growing at 45deg through a 80-100 ft popular tree . Then of course as above there are many types .. it’s coming down when I’ve finished the roof - 🔥 firewood it is then 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Well thanks to all for the replies, I was looking at it today from roof height and did think for a few seconds it looks like a willow but I dismissed it as it’s not weeping but it’s growing from next doors garden and the 2 main limbs are growing at 45deg through a 80-100 ft popular tree . Then of course as above there are many types .. it’s coming down when I’ve finished the roof - 🔥 firewood it is then 🔥🔥🔥🔥
Wouldn't hurt to keep a couple of pieces for turning later, especially if you can get some spalting going in it 😉.
20240523_184212.jpg20240523_184208.jpg

The last fresh wood I tried to dry split and cracked past the the point of no return ,the main trunks are about 8 / 10 inches in diameter and about 4ft long but I don’t turn and I have no experience of drying wood ..

Hi all , can anyone please identify this tree and is the wood useable in turning or box making.. Tia
For future reference, there is an app ,which you can get for free, that identifies plants pretty accurately. It's called Plantnet. You take a picture of the leaves or flowers and the app finds a match.

For future reference, there is an app ,which you can get for free, that identifies plants pretty accurately. It's called Plantnet. You take a picture of the leaves or flowers and the app finds a match.
To be fair most smart phones can search from a photo, requires a little more effort but one less app to download.

Thanks @Scruples thats really useful information. Had a heated discussion with a friend ( Gardner ) as I said a shrub was a rhododendron and he said it was a hydrangea. Enter the owner and she confirmed I was correct but my friend still wasn’t having it ..

I have recently seen a YT video in which a woodturner nailed discs of plywood to the ends of 'logs' with a bituminous substance before putting them aside to dry to prevent splitting.

I remember a willow breadboard in my mother's kitchen.

Latest posts

Back