What is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throbscottle

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry no photos - it was something I saw used on a shed-construction video I watched a few years ago. The thing looked like several rulers joined together - adjustable angles and possibly able to slide as well, like 2 connected diamonds. They used it to copy/reverse the angles needed for the roof supports and the ends of the posts that held them up. Like a sliding bevel on cocaine...

Can someone name this gadget for me? It looked a useful piece of kit!

Bora Miterix ?
Screenshot_20240923_160108_Gallery.jpg

First one maybe, second one no. I think it was more like 2 crosses, or 2 diamonds joined at the ends to there was a cross in the middle. But maybe I'm just imagining extra parts. I don't think it had actual angles marked on it.
Am I going to have to watch hundreds of shed builds until I find the right one?

Both things look very useful anyway!

Possibly more like the yellow one but I'm not sure now. I don't think theirs had such a lot of flexibility. Is there something more like the Magnusson one but where the arms cross?

Sorry to be a pain, it's been sat in the back of my head all this time and decided to surface when I was looking at speed squares!

Like the link in post #2? Or different?
I really am going to have to try to find the video because the details are so fuzzy. It was more like 2 or more sliding bevels joined together (but thin) so arms could actually stick out of it. Not sure if it had a middle bit. I'm sure they actually called it some kind of bevel too. You could almost make it out of 2 folding rulers and some rubber bands!

Go through your internet history until you find a description that sounds about right, then click to open it. If it's a no, continue through your search until you find it?
HTH.

When you describe as being "lighweight" that sounds like a tiling gadget I have for marking irregular shaped tiles. This is an interconecting set of four "rulers" about 25mm wide with slots and knurled fasterners. The device can be used in many ways but it is lightweight . Mine is plastic but Toolkiosk lists a metal one,

Professional Tile Shaping Template Profile Tool Tiling

It would seem that the shed builder is using a non-carpenters tool to take off angles.

Go through your internet history until you find a description that sounds about right, then click to open it. If it's a no, continue through your search until you find it?
HTH.
Was watched via a device other than the 'putrer, that's probably been replaced since then, and anything up to 10 years ago. Good thought though!

Nobex Multifix (great tool) does this kind of thing perfectly but it's too close to some of the above you've said are not what you are looking for.

https://www.rapidonline.com/nobex-multifix-angle-measuring-device-33301-86-0041
It's more similar I think. I recon XTiffy must be right because I can't find anything else like what I remember except the extended angle measure, which still doesn't look right! It's frustrating because I thought at the time they were using a standard tool for this type of thing that I just hadn't seen before, so either they weren't, or I'm remembering it very wrongly!

Just been around Lidl, spotted a 4 arm sliding thing in the danger aisle like the yellow "MAVURA Tools Angle Template Protractor Adjustable Contour Gauge Stencil Ruler Angle Measuring Device Angle Bevel Stairs Tiles Measuring Angle Forceps" (forceps?) but in black aluminium so I had a little play with it. Still not convinced it's the same but it does seem to be the more similar out of everything. (They also have speed/roofing squares, but they're cheaper online).

Back