Todays effort.Part 2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bodrighy wrote
Have a look at this guys stuff Paul
Jumpin Junipers Pete :shock:
I think look is all i will be doing :roll:
Fantastic stuff their.
Paul.J.

Well this is my last one of the week,i think.Don't want to bore you too much. :D
But this is a piece of Yew that i thought i would try,(from my tree surgeon)and have to say that i think this is my favourite wood so far to turn.
It's got beautiful figuring and colours,the piccy does not do it justice,and it turned lovely.Is all Yew like this :?:
Didn't expect it to stay in one piece but it did,and no glue was used,surprisingly :shock:
Managed to get it down to about 6mm wall thickness :shock:
Sizes are-205mm dia x 60mm high.
Finished with sanding sealer and Woodwax.
Can't wait to do the next piece :D

Paul.J.

Now that's more like my type of thing. I think I have a kink somewhere, I love bowls with holes and vases with natural edges etc. Did you find it nerve racking when you started getting thin Paul, the sound changes and I keep stopping to check as it sounds so fragile

Really nice work and so far every piece of yew I have turned has been good even little branch muchrooms.

Pete

A lovely piece there Paul, a simple but true rendering of the character of Yew.

Just had a thought Paul, did you get your lathe up to full speed for that yew bowl? I remember you saying somewhere that you hadn't had it up to full yet but I wouldn't like to try and turn that at slow speed myself

Pete

Thanks again for the comments.
Tam i will have another look at that.Thanks.
Bodrighy wrote
Did you find it nerve racking when you started getting thin Paul, the sound changes and I keep stopping to check as it sounds so fragile
No not really Pete.
I think i am used to expecting things to happen so expect them too,if you know what i mean.But as you say just kept stopping after every pass to check.Slow but worth the effort for wood like the Yew.
And,
did you get your lathe up to full speed for that yew bowl?
Pete.No still not at full speed. :roll: Thought putting it any faster would put too much force on the fragile piece,so kept the speed down to about 1200rpm i think.Just seemed the right speed.
Paul.J.

Gone mad today :shock:
Had quite a fruitful day. :lol:
Decided to have a go at the few fruit woods i have. :D First turning for them all.
First one is Apple.
As you can see this was turned green hence the shape of it already,but no splits yet.
Read that it is difficult to dry out without splitting,and best to turn it as thin as possible helps out,which is what i tried to do.
Sizes-180mm dia x 80mm high.

This is also my first attempt at Cherry.
Again this was turned green and is also going oval shape.
Sizes-130mm dia x 55mm high.

And finally two pieces of Plum.
This is the wood i got some time back in spring.Seems to have dried o.k.
Lovely colours in it.The lighter one looking like Rasberry ripple.
Sizes-90mm dia x 35mm high.
All pieces finished with sanding sealer and woodwax.

Paul.J.

Nice little set there Paul, finish looks great on all of them.

Done better than me the last couple of days, everything seems to have gone astray, internal shakes putting pay to original intended design, tops/lids that look out of place (colourwise) and need remaking, a piece too thin to risk leaving 'as is'...... time for a cleanup and a couple of beers me thinks...

Thought i'd better bring my Todays effort back,and put this piece on,now i'm more or less sorted out in the workshop,just one or two more items to sort.
Another piece of Horse Chestnut,this been an off cut from all the slabs i'd cut up earlier.
Managed to cut a 14" dia x 6" thick piece out of it on the Bandsaw.
Glad to say that the lathe coped easily with it :D
Finished piece ended up 13" x 5-1/4",Sanding sealer and woodwax finish.
Also used The Grip-a-Disc for the first time and also have to say how impressed i am with that too.No more aching fingers,well not as much :D
Critique welcome.

This is how it started out.

Paul.J.

A hefty lump of tree,Paul - seems like a fair test for the green machine :wink:
Love the pattern in the timber,looks fantastic.
And the shape reminds me of an upside-down cowboy hat (must be big enough to wear as one,as well..)

Andrew

Certainly building some refinement into the projects Paul, finesse of wall thickness to match the smoothness of the green machine, great colouring in that wood.

Blanked up that (edit out: sycamore) horse chestnut* you gave me today, it too has some interesting colour blends, will be interesting to see how it goes.

*Been back out in the shed and had another look, I was fooled by a very sycamore/plane Lacewood like figuring it has in some of the outer wood,
hc.jpg

It is certainly far more dense than the young branch wood I have seen before.

Good work Paul, lovely looking piece of timber with the colouring. Nice design also, and as has been said, you could use it as a hat. :lol:

Am waiting to see what else your new machine is going to turn out.

Really lovely grain Paul. I blanked that piece you gave me but until I get the lathe bedded down securely I darent't try it as it's about the same size as yours and I am loath to chop it down if I can avoid it.

You are certainly getting good thicknesses now, is that due to practice or the flash lathe?

Pete

Lovely piece ,Paul - good thinness also. Just one minor picky point - the outside slope of the bowl doesn't seem to be quite straight or curved but wavers just a tad - but I doubt many would notice. Finish looks excellent.

Excellent piece and the grain is just beautiful.

The green machine just makes life so much nicer. :D

john

Thanks everyone.
Nick Welford wrote
the outside slope of the bowl doesn't seem to be quite straight or curved but wavers just a tad
Yes Nick that was intentional,even though it is only very slight.Just thought i would take that straight edge off slightly.

Yes the Green machine really does make a difference.I don't know why,just seems more solid,and not so much vibration,even though it is a lot lighter than the Perform.
The cut seems a lot better :D more positive,if that makes sense. :roll:
I also thought the Perform was a pleasure to use compared to the Record i had before that,but the Hegner is in a different class all together.
Really pleased with it,so far.
Paul.J.

I know exactlly what you mean, it is much smoother and quieter and the ability to get the revs to just what you want rather than a higher or lower makes a big difference.

I think you got it spot on it is a different class of machine.

john

Finally got back down to the Green machine today,i'm glad to say after having the flu/virus which seems like for ages,still not fully recovered yet :( arrgh,no violins please :lol:
So i thought i'd have a go at the pens/pencils i bought some time back,inspired by Chas's efforts.
Cut some bits of Yew up,made a drilling jig to hold them,and turned them.
These are the results,not bad me thinks for first efforts. :D
I can see how these can also be addictive :roll: Quick to do too once you get the hang of it.

Click on piccy to enlarge.

Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back