Tissue for lathe work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The situation was a little different but it bears saying over and over as people tend to think "it can't happen to me"

I personally know a guy who had his hand torn off the end of his arm while he was sanding using emery cloth.

Yes it can happen. As a veteran shop foreman he almost certainly had more experience than anyone reading this, but he still messed up.
If you are power sanding or polishing make sure that piece of cloth is small enough you can't wrap it round your fingers even if you try.
And short sleeves, hair, no gloves thicker than latex disposables, etc, etc.
It'a an occupational hazard and it can happen to you if you let it.

You'll here me tell this again every year or two. No apologies. You may not have anyone around to find a crisp packet for your hand / finger and drive you to hospital....
I went on a Government training course many years ago and we had a health and safety presentation one day. Some of the pictures were nasty. Things like cloths and gloves were forbidden around any rotating machinery.

I'm not a fan of the blue roll for applying finishes, I find the blue dye leaches out into the wood and the fibres get caught in the wood too so only use it for cleaning up, tried using Jcloths once but they were even worse for leaching dye and fibres, I use white paper hand towel, it still pulls apart when using abrasive paste but it doesnt discolour the wood, only thing I don't like using it with is friction polish, I've only ever used it it a couple of times because of this, it just rips the paper apart and is hard (for me) to get a nice finish from it.

I'm not a fan of the blue roll for applying finishes, I find the blue dye leaches out into the wood and the fibres get caught in the wood too so only use it for cleaning up, tried using Jcloths once but they were even worse for leaching dye and fibres, I use white paper hand towel, it still pulls apart when using abrasive paste but it doesnt discolour the wood, only thing I don't like using it with is friction polish, I've only ever used it it a couple of times because of this, it just rips the paper apart and is hard (for me) to get a nice finish from it.
Strange , That has not happened to me.

Plus one for blue roll, although I do have the safety cloth mentioned above.
I’ve not had a problem with the dye leaching out but as cheap kitchen roll is next to useless, I actually have a premium brand in the workshop and use the cheap stuff in the kitchen… probably shows my priorities!

Paper napkins from better restaurants are excellent, I find - soft, multi layer, strong but will tear in the event of a catch. If I run out I'll try to buy them from a catering supplier such as Nesbitt

I agree with those above who don't care for the poor finish from paper. It's my experience that folded layers of paper do not tear easily and have no advantage over a cloth pad anyway. I cut my cloth (old towels and tea-towels are excellent) into roughly six inch squares then fold them in half and half again. In use I hold the pad between finger and thumb. Yes, I've had catches - they simply pull the pad out of my hand. Used sensibly cloth is as safe as paper and gives a much better finish.

I agree with those above who don't care for the poor finish from paper. It's my experience that folded layers of paper do not tear easily and have no advantage over a cloth pad anyway. I cut my cloth (old towels and tea-towels are excellent) into roughly six inch squares then fold them in half and half again. In use I hold the pad between finger and thumb. Yes, I've had catches - they simply pull the pad out of my hand. Used sensibly cloth is as safe as paper and gives a much better finish.
😱

Latest posts

Back