They're pliers Jim but not as we know it (them)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes another identification what are these for exercise - any ideas folks?
DSCF9371.JPG

DSCF9369.JPG

Thats great thanks Mark
They came from my neighbours shed when I was helping empty it ready for house sale, he was well over 90 so I guess they had been there for years.
I will have a looksee tomorrow to see if the marking is there.
Now I wonder what they used to crimp back in the day?

edit Now I know which maker to look for found this
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1637917083/rare-large-ww1-period-british-military

Plus odd links here and there, mainly wire cutters they made. One source said they also made requisites for telephone linesman which ties in nicely as cables or restraining wires in those WW1 days may well have been crimped. Perhaps used in trench cabling

Last edited:
To be devil's advocate, these ID are just based on a couple of ebay titles by people who most likely weren't alive when they were made. They might be wrong. The crimp pliers I've encountered are generally smooth jawed because the metal needs to slide a bit as it's swaged. Frankly the serrated jaws look like a pair of gripping pliers for round items as much as anything else.
It would be really interesting to know more about possible applications. Military could be crimping electrics for eg field telephones, could be crimping fuses or whatever for munitions, or maybe just something to do with (wire ?) rope. Of these, I can only imagine serrated maybe being useful for munitions.

To be devil's advocate, these ID are just based on a couple of ebay titles by people who most likely weren't alive when they were made. They might be wrong. The crimp pliers I've encountered are generally smooth jawed because the metal needs to slide a bit as it's swaged. Frankly the serrated jaws look like a pair of gripping pliers for round items as much as anything else.
It would be really interesting to know more about possible applications. Military could be crimping electrics for eg field telephones, could be crimping fuses or whatever for munitions, or maybe just something to do with (wire ?) rope. Of these, I can only imagine serrated maybe being useful for munitions.
I don't know where to ask why these tools were made, the manufacturer no longer exists and as you say their use is conjecture at this time

I have this reply from an ebay seller and have his permission to post his remarks here

Hi, As far as I can find out, these crimping pliers were used to crimp electrical connections onto wires. I understand that the three sets of serrations allowed differing pressures to be applied. My father used similar but less heavy duty crimpers in the Fleet Air Arm in WW2.
Best wishes,

That is good research.
The 3 sets of indentations look so similar in size that the idea of using them for different SIZE crimps doesn't seem sensible, but three indentations to allow different PRESSURES to be applied does. Simple mechanics, the indent closest to the jaw looks to be able to apply maybe 6x the force of your hand (not great but useful), the indent nearest the tip only about 2x which is very little.
I'm still unconvinced by the design, but provenance is a big part of antiquities and that includes the stories around objects.

Could it be that the three identical forming hollows are for progressive crimping: start with the outer one; move round 120º and crimp harder; another 120º and final compression and rounding ???

Last edited:
--or handling etc barbed wire?

Back