The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
billiards":sbpwa6m6 said:
I have noticed that most of the pieces I have seen images of, have exceptional finishes. Are they difficult to produce?

No, the finishing is not difficult at all, time consuming sometimes if you get a piece of rogue end grain which needs a lot of hand sanding.

Sharp tools to avoid tearing the wood fibers, good bevel contact where possible to polish cut surface, patient through the grade sanding.

If you can't see a fine dust coming off the wood with just light pressure then the sanding medium needs changing.
Failure to do so will result in heat build up and minute stress cracks in surface, particularly end grain.

A high percentage of mine are just cellulose sanding sealer and woodwax22. Very quick and easy to apply.

That I do like Chas, the contrast really appeals to me, and one way of using up thin off-cuts of nice timber.

Will give the idea a try sometime, I've got some thin boards of Leadwood which might just do for some rims and feet. I have been wondering what I might do with it.

To be honest Tam, I had visions of a lidded pot when I turned the 'very' green blank, it however distorted considerably during drying and by the time I had cleaned it up the wall thickness was down below a couple of mm and looked too vulnerable for a lidded pot, the collar was my solution to add rim strength, the base is in the form of a collar also(waste from centre of rim) push fit on the turning spigot which was on the small (diam) side after trueing to be left as a foot.

__________"Back in the old routine, following a request for something in Beech"

_________ ___ click on images for larger view
_____________Beech (50-120mm)

__________"Two more old favourites, including the the dreaded Iroko"

_________ ___ click on image for larger view
_________Oak/Purpleheart-Oak/Iroko

Paul.J":bdb67toj said:
Something different Chas. :D
What they going to be used for.Anything in particular.
Paul.J.

They usually get filled with watercolor paint brushes or artists pencils Paul.
These were intended just to use up some of the Oak bits and Teak that came with the Laburnum but one Iroko ring is enough, the rest will have to have something different as a contrast, might know last time I did some I was asked for wider diameter, completed these two and was informed that some smaller ones would be good :roll:

__________A piece of home cured Scotish Beech and few pieces of local coloured Ash"

_________ ___ _______ click on images for larger view
______________Beech (197mm)_________________Ash (145mm)

_________ ___
_________________Ash (152mm)_______________Ash (153mm)

_________ ___
________________Ash (125mm)________________Ash (105mm)

All very nice :D
Particularly like the shape of the beech one,but the colouring in the ash is quite amazing :shock:

Andrew

Very nice Chas. :D
Love the colour of the Ash pieces,especially the first one,looks like Laburnum with the grain.
Not long to go now. :D
Paul.J.

__________A Pair of dishes with enough difference to warrant sharing I think.

___________Maple Burr & Pau Rosa_________________(190 x 70mm)

Have been trying to work up the courage to turn most of this present of Canadian Maple Burr into shavings since Christmas, finally decided to slice it in half for two shallow dishes instead of one bowl, they will be keepers, so it's now up to LOML to find a use for them :lol:

Mmmm :D

Glad you plucked up courage to use the burr,Chas - and both timbers look great.And it must be nice having two excellent pieces out of it,rather than one and a lot more shavings :wink:

Andrew

__________A mix of local & exotic woods, with a gratuitous shot to prove we do take the bit out of the middle.
___________Sycamore & Pau Rosa_________________(160 mm)

__________First of all, a rework of the lid for the sycamore Pot shown above, it did not look right somehow, I decided that
__________it was the wrong shape and looked too heavy.

_________

__________Forgot how hard dried Cherry can get, spent some considerable time getting the tool edge and my approach
__________just right to finish this piece off. Despite being very dry the piece constantly kept changing shape,
__________either due to stress relief or temperature changes, at 4mm thick walls not much option but to
__________rely on finish sanding for final contours.

_____________Aylesbury Cherry___________________(190mm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back