SawStop, stops on contact with skin is coming to Europe soon!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawStop

SawStop Europe
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
.banner-ukworkshop.png

SawStop has been saving people’s fingers for more than 20 years,
and is now coming to Europe soon!

Over two decades ago, an American physicist revolutionized woodworking safety.
His invention? A table saw that stops on contact with skin.
SawStop’s revolutionary AIM safety system reduces what could be a potentially life-changing injury
into a scratch by stopping the spinning blade on contact with skin.

banner-ukworkshop-prodcts.png

1 Injury every 9 minutes, 10 amputations every day
Countless individuals have been affected by tragic accidents with table saws not equipped with SawStop technology; three such individuals share their story here.

Patrick-image2.jpg

Your safety is our top priority. We’re looking forward to bringing our innovation to your workspace.
Until then, take care and stay safe! See you soon.

Warm regards,
Team SawStop Europe

*based on US data

footer.jpg

Attachments

• Saving People’s Fingers Uk workshop banner (1000 x 230 px).png
    Saving People’s Fingers Uk workshop banner (1000 x 230 px).png
    265.2 KB · Views: 5
  • SawStop Table saws.png
    SawStop Table saws.png
    352.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
And can those who already own a Sawstop, buy the aftermarket sliding high/low extrusion
for ripping as per the rules in Europe,
or is Sawstop going to pretend that the full length fence isn't a recipe for possible death
and ignore that like overseas.
Hoping the former, as I need something not pretend for my TS.

And can those who already own a Sawstop, buy the aftermarket sliding high/low extrusion
for ripping as per the rules in Europe,
or is Sawstop going to pretend that the full length fence isn't a recipe for possible death
and ignore that like overseas.
Hoping the former, as I need something not pretend for my TS.
Ive been woodworking for 40 odd years and I wasn't aware that my long fence was "a recipe for possible death".
In my shop, the fence just sits there and doesn't cause any trouble. When I rip wood, it helps me get a nice straight cut. I haven't seen any signs of homicidal tendencies from it but I'll keep my eyes open.

Now now, we've been mentioning this for years and years, if youself or Sawstop retailers are not aware then that's just being negligent, simple as.
This is obviously a case of either contesting the fact, or not wanting to know.
The UK HSE stuff is dated, and not comprehensive either, but can be found in the archives,
so here's the German version.
https://www.bghm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Seminare/Holzbranche/TSM-Web_BG_96.18.pdf

The rules are there for a reason, regardless of where in Europe one is.
Even the first tablesaws were designed with such features in mind, i.e this is not a new concept.

Here's something like what we need for this machine to comply with regs.
https://i.postimg.cc/pL2zKbb3/Screenshot-2023-7-4-Safe-Wood-Machining-by-Roy-Sutton.png

Keen to get one for my machine.
Shouldn't be a bother for the company to comply with that here.

All the best

Ive been woodworking for 40 odd years and I wasn't aware that my long fence was "a recipe for possible death".
In my shop, the fence just sits there and doesn't cause any trouble. When I rip wood, it helps me get a nice straight cut. I haven't seen any signs of homicidal tendencies from it but I'll keep my eyes open.
Haha. Well maybe death is a little extreme, but you could lose one of those eyes you say you’re going to keep open lol.
Or is it extreme? A tablesaw blade can definitely flick a piece of wood through a drywall, if it was pointed it may just be able to skewer you?
I can understand what you say about a long fence giving you a nice straight cut, we get the same cut but the fence is pulled way back so that the wood has lots to register against before it even reaches the blade, now to my mind a cut that starts off going in the right direction is probably better, and no risk of flying bits of wood.
Ian

When table saw safety comes up, I always hear people talking about 'flying pieces of wood" or some other such nonsense. Wood does not fly off of my saw, period.
I have a splitter and guard in place for through cuts. For grooves, dados and crosscuts, I remove them.
It's not difficult, dangerous or suicidal in any way. Not for me anyhow, I can't speak for anyone else.

I think some are oblivious to the dangers of kick back etc because it’s never happened to them therefore it doesn’t exist or happen . We have all seen the videos of such events and also the unfortunate few on here that have got their fingers too close to a running blade . Safe use of all machinery keeps the experienced woodworkers safe but just as important if not more important is it gives new woodworkers a safe platform to build their experience on . Tried and tested methods. So be it a very expensive electronic device or push sticks that physically put you further away from the blade or a combination of both then
Let’s at least have the choice . Many years ago I was actually disappointed when I decided the saw stop was the job site saw for me only to discover it could not be shipped to the uk .

No sorry you are just plain wrong and it certainly isn’t nonsense, happens quite often, plenty to be seen on YouTube.
Glad to hear you use a riving knife and crown guard, you Americans are infamous for not using them.
Ian
I tend to agree with Ed Weber on this. It's not the hazard it's cracked up to be. The youtube demos are carefully set up.
Like a lot of people I've had it happen to me in the early days. Just once. No damage and easy to adjust for, never happened again.
Sawstop no use anyway on this one.

I tend to agree with Ed Weber on this. It's not the hazard it's cracked up to be. The youtube demos are carefully set up.
Like a lot of people I've had it happen to me in the early days. Just once. No damage and easy to adjust for, never happened again.
Sawstop no use anyway on this one.
This is a classic, the first one which came up on google. He sets it up but gets everything wrong - no riving knife or crown guard, useless grabbers instead of push sticks etc. But most of all he very nearly gets a severe cut (4'20") and doesn't even seem to be aware of it. He urgently needs two push sticks!

Why isn't the photo of the bloke with a missing finger captioned:

"I cut my finger off because I don't know how to use a tablesaw .... "

or

"I cut my finger off because I couldn't be bothered to read the instructions .... "

or

"I cut my finger off because I was tired and didn't take a break .... "

or

"I cut my figer off because it was too much trouble to get the push stick(s) off the hook .... " (plural to keep Jacob happy)

or

"I cut my finger off because I'm an silly person ...."

etc, etc ....

I'm quite surprised at this as I thought Festool had the SawStop thing covered over here.

With some good marketing (and help from Youtube) I'm sure they will sell well, for many people it will be a no brainer, why not pay a bit more for a saw which could save their fingers?

The cabinet saw is meant to be a solid bit of kit even if you disregard the SawStop technology, I'm sure many people will be keen to get their hands on a proper American style cabinet saw so they can copy their favourite Youtubers.

In no time at all SawStop will be in every school and college and a few years down the line every commercial workplace will need to have it.

SawStop isn't needed if you do things properly but it's not a bad thing to have.

Let’s look at it from a different perspective, anyone new to wood work in the UK, especially if it’s a hobby will struggle to find decent and affordable training. They are going to reply on Google and u-tube for knowledge. There are a lot of practices that are simply, how can I put it politely, very undesirable being promoted and if followed are highly likely to result in accidents. So, for a newbethe option to have additional safety devises is a really good option.

Latest posts

Back