Induction Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speaker

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of a corded (yes I know, shock/horror!), mitre saw?

I’m trying to find one to replace a Hitachi beast that is unbelievably noisy - it makes everyone in the shop jump when it starts and kills all conversations.

It’s so loud we’re thinking of building a room just to manage the noise.

Thanks,
Tony

Metabo kgs254iplus
10"
Induction motor
Enclosed belt drive.
Monster heavy. Put it on a rolling stand and it's v nice. Lovely quality.
Did I mention heavy ?
20240623_143642.jpg

I tried it on the bosch gravity rise stand. It has to sit off centre and is too heavy to lift like that.
It works great on the dewalt stand for their site saw.

Build quality and price are much above their lightweight 10" kgs254 models with a brush motor.

Metabo kgs254iplus
10"
Induction motor
Enclosed belt drive.
Monster heavy. Put it on a rolling stand and it's v nice. Lovely quality.
Did I mention heavy ?
View attachment 187448

I tried it on the bosch gravity rise stand. It has to sit off centre and is too heavy to lift like that.
It works great on the dewalt stand for their site saw.

Build quality and price are much above their lightweight 10" kgs254 models with a brush motor.
Thanks @Sideways for the quick response - I had tried looking at the major manufacturers (including Metabo) but none seemed to offer corded induction mitre saws. It seems this model is discontinued and like most manufacturers the majority of tools now being offered are battery powered. I did find a used one but it is in Derby and I’m on the south coast…

Your Hitachi sounds like a crude machine if it is really that noisy, all mitre saws will make noise but the majority whilst cutting. I think you need to hear other mitre saws to get a fair comparison before buying a replacement.

What is the reason specifically to include "induction" as part of your requirements?

Reading between the lines (dangerous, I know), you seem to have a notion that an 'induction' motor might be quieter than a 'non-induction' one. If that is so, from whence has that idea come?

Could you also explain what you understand to be the difference between the two types of motor.

What is the reason specifically to include "induction" as part of your requirements?

Reading between the lines (dangerous, I know), you seem to have a notion that an 'induction' motor might be quieter than a 'non-induction' one. If that is so, from whence has that idea come?

Could you also explain what you understand to be the difference between the two types of motor.
Hi @ChaiLatte, induction motors are a lot quieter, I'm sure you know that. - the Elektra Beckum KGS300 I used to sell was exceptionally quiet and unique at the time - pre brake spec late 90's it was also potentially dangerous too as it spun silently for about 2 mins after shut off. It was still a great saw for it's time.
The actual noise of cutting wood was of course the same as a brush motor mitre saw. It just never had the initial screech kick on start or the running universal motor decibels adding to the wood cut noise. I get where the OP is coming from wanting a quiet machine - I'm not sure though if any exist anymore?

It might be worth looking at the heavier single blade machines used for picture framing, Some Omga machines come up at bargain prices. Frightening the current prices at Scott & Sargent, I paid less than a hundred for my elderly unit with cabinet and extractor.

Last edited:
That looks like a decent used example.
Black plastic insert for the slot isn't nicked so no heavy sideways abuse and it has either been built into a bench or not heavily used as the two side extensions don't show obvious wear to the black paint on the top surfaces. That would eventually wear off if the the saw is heavily used.
The clamp on the left is correct. They come with one and it can be swapped between L or R as required. With fast action and extendable these encourage you to use them.
I paid more, used, but I've had mine several years now.
They were several hundred list price, with the last few new ones selling about £500 a year or two after they were discontinued. Parts are still available.

They are relatively quiet. Plentiful wind noise from the teeth but very little from the motor. Spin down is fairly quick, maybe more than 10 sec as I don't care but not much more.
With a good blade the cut quality is excellent.
I cut a bunch of 90mm square alloy extrusion last month. Thickness wise that is right on the limit of what it can cut.

Last edited:
The actual noise of cutting wood was of course the same as a brush motor mitre saw.
That is where I could not see the benefit of the induction motor on a mitre saw, the induction motor or asyncronous motor is that as used on many other machines such as the table saw and for me there is not a lot of difference between my Bosch glide and my table saw even when not cutting. The brushed Ac motor will be with us for a while to come just like the asyncronous motor but long term I can see more applications where a brushless Dc motor (BLDC) is used even on Ac supplies because it gives a lot more control and torque, currently washing machines is one area already using them.

Hi,

Does anyone know of a corded (yes I know, shock/horror!), mitre saw?

I’m trying to find one to replace a Hitachi beast that is unbelievably noisy - it makes everyone in the shop jump when it starts and kills all conversations.

It’s so loud we’re thinking of building a room just to manage the noise.

Thanks,
Tony
How about fitting (or having fitted) a 'soft-start' module?

I’m with you - I try to keep screaming brushed motors out of the shop but sometimes unavoidable.

If no luck on the induction motor front, try the Bosch GCM range. Brushed, but belt driven so definitely quieter than the direct drive ones.

You’ll still need hearing protection, as some of the noise is from the carbide teeth tearing into the wood.

It might be worth looking at the heavier single blade machines used for picture framing, Some Omga machines come up at bargain prices. Frightening the current prices at Scott & Sargent, I paid less than a hundred for my elderly unit with cabinet and extractor.
There is an Inmes with an induction motor ,very similar to the Omga, on ebay

Also just another thought after reading the original post.. if this is in a shop environment have you considered replacing with a radial arm saw? That will definitely be induction and offer more anyway

Also just another thought after reading the original post.. if this is in a shop environment have you considered replacing with a radial arm saw? That will definitely be induction and offer more anyway
^ That might start the old RAS v. mitre saw debate! The only answer is to have both, as they have overlapping functionality and different pros/cons. I wouldn’t want to do without either of them.

My Wadkin BRA runs with a quiet ‘whoosh’, mainly from the saw blade itself. Cutting is noisy enough to need earplugs, though.

I gave away a dewalt 15xx radial arm saw. Hated it.
But the BRA is totally different. Properly rigid. Massively heavy. It sounds like my Metabo.

I think a new decent quality brushed mitre saw might solve your problem.

I have 2 mitre saws, a little Makita and a Festool Kapex. Despite the Makita being much smaller it's also much louder and nowhere near as nice to use, it really kicks into life when you pull the trigger and even the brake seems overly aggressive.

I see induction motors more for machines with on/off buttons (rather than triggers) where you leave them running for a while like a RAS or table saw, with a mitre saw you pull the trigger and it only runs for a few seconds. On the other hand brushed motors don't seem to suit machines that are left running, we all know how loud the small site saws and little dedicated thicknessers are, for things like this induction motors are much more pleasant to work with.

Back