Restoring an old Norris No 5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must have been one of the very last Andy....

This from an article on "The Best Things" website....

However, planes made after the late 1920s are decidedly less "finished" than the earlier planes. By the end of the 1930s, Norris planes were being made in a shed behind the house of Thomas Norris's daughter. After the war, the Norris name and designs were sold to an aeronautical instrument manufacturer looking to diversify away from military production. These planes are the so called "late model "Norris." Some time in the early 1950s, these planes were also discontinued.

But by far the best article and something also interesting...that price of £3 17s 6d....seems to be the stock value then...even in 1946...

The Norris Story by Tony Murland

Jim

here are some pictures of the finished article. The stain has not taken a deeply as I would have liked on the sides, but the finish is nice , I used Renwax over the stain. I think she looks and feels pretty good.

norris003.jpg

norris002.jpg

norris001.jpg

Cheers, mark

That worked out really well mate....next time go for a "non rub" seal first then you won't rub out the stain. Personally, I think that has helped you immensely with the finish as it doesn't look so "new" rather like it is worn by constant wear at key points!

Enjoy her for many years to come

Jim

Latest posts

Back