Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How not to start a day
Decided to start to turn the wood recovered from the sea
1. Two attempts to fit a face plate, had to drill pilot holes
2 did not notice that the last 10 mm of the bit had broken off in the wood, it came back to bite me and my tools
3 the wood is so hard, harder than the old oak.. after 2 and a bit hours I had the motive cut and the o/s of the bowl shaped. So far so good. Started to hollow out....... an hour and half....I have remove 15mm on a 125 mm hollow
At this rate it will be finished sometime 2029...lol
I know I have been spoilt turning soft wood

How not to start a day
Decided to start to turn the wood recovered from the sea
1. Two attempts to fit a face plate, had to drill pilot holes
2 did not notice that the last 10 mm of the bit had broken off in the wood, it came back to bite me and my tools
3 the wood is so hard, harder than the old oak.. after 2 and a bit hours I had the motive cut and the o/s of the bowl shaped. So far so good. Started to hollow out....... an hour and half....I have remove 15mm on a 125 mm hollow
At this rate it will be finished sometime 2029...lol
I know I have been spoilt turning soft wood
Some woods just don't like being hollowed, just have to sharpen more often.

Today I decided to do some more small plant pots, got 2 birch ones done ready for resin, one cherry ready for resin and another one shaped ready to hollow, the cherry is very hard and does not hollow easily, creates extremely fine dust rather than ribbons, there was an overgrown branch off on the log which had a big crack in the k ot, I've filled this with ebony shavings and CA, if I get chance I'll finish them all at the weekend but my local club has an open day on Sunday and Colwin Way is one of the demonstrators along with M Saban-Smith and some others.
20241025_180540.jpg20241025_180602.jpg20241025_180605.jpg20241025_180611.jpg20241025_180617.jpg

Back