Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just starting out on this journey. It's not fully sanded or finished yet - waiting until tomorrow for more abrasives. This is actually from the 12"x3/4" wide pine board that my lathe was mounted on when I picked it up. I remounted the lathe on my shed bench. Past two platters I made from it are round.

Shame it's pine, but I'm using what timber I have rather than buy it while I'm learning. My log pile has shrunk a bit this past couple of months, as well. Oak, ash, cherry & leylandii made up most of the last load.

I'm a bit miffed in that I 'forced' myself into maybe unnecessary decoration, and that it could be shifted by a few mm, or even not done.

Pleased with my new chuck, a Viper3 , having come from the tommy bar chucks that came with the lathe. Swapping/reversing pieces is so much easier now.

Attachments

• 20240703_174656.jpg
    20240703_174656.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240703_183335.jpg
    20240703_183335.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 0
Just starting out on this journey. It's not fully sanded or finished yet - waiting until tomorrow for more abrasives. This is actually from the 12"x3/4" wide pine board that my lathe was mounted on when I picked it up. I remounted the lathe on my shed bench. Past two platters I made from it are round.

Shame it's pine, but I'm using what timber I have rather than buy it while I'm learning. My log pile has shrunk a bit this past couple of months, as well. Oak, ash, cherry & leylandii made up most of the last load.

I'm a bit miffed in that I 'forced' myself into maybe unnecessary decoration, and that it could be shifted by a few mm, or even not done.

Pleased with my new chuck, a Viper3 , having come from the tommy bar chucks that came with the lathe. Swapping/reversing pieces is so much easier now.
That's gorgeous, nothing wrong with pine but probably not the best wood to learn with, soft woods can be hard to get a clean cut without tearout causing frustration. Hardwoods can be easier to learn with.

Threw out yesterday's trophy failure and made a new one from a Mountain Ash log, continued the line through the stand for a little hidden feature underneath, finished with hard wax and have to say I really like it 😀
20240703_162635.jpg20240703_162647.jpg20240703_162657.jpg20240703_162708.jpg20240703_162713.jpg20240703_162724.jpg20240703_162729.jpg

Threw out yesterday's trophy failure and made a new one from a Mountain Ash log, continued the line through the stand for a little hidden feature underneath, finished with hard wax and have to say I really like it 😀
Stig, I have to say I agree that this is much nicer - IMHO... great job!

Some nice turning there Stig.

A number of years ago I turned a number of wands, most which I have given away over the years, this is all that remains. Although, I still feel guilty, because giving these things to kids could have them poking each others eyes out!! The few I have left are turned from Lleylandii, Oak and Hawthorn. The four on the right are not wands, but long hair-pins (you know like what Japanese ladies have holding their long hair in shape). Its a simple progression from turning wands, but you need to keep turning until you can get them as thin as you dare! The Ends of the wands and pins are embellished with decorative buttons from the wife's cache.

Attachments

• 20240706_091841.jpg
    20240706_091841.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back