Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, I made a couple of screwdriver blades (if that's the right word).

View attachment 191280

A lot of the old Stanley planes have slotted (yuck) screws (e.g. the fence and depth stop screws as well as the "nicker" screw on the #45 shown in the photo). I currently tend to get a screwdriver bit holder handle and then rummage around for a bit that's the right size. I've got some bigger Wiha heavy-duty screwdrivers that would do the job too, but I wanted something fairly short and dedicated to dealing with old-fashioned woodworking tools. These two are sized to suit the screws on the #45 but they seem to fit quite a few others as well).

Starting with a couple of bits of silver steel, I ground these to shape on the bench grinder, filed a flat on the shank (to help some epoxy bind them into their handles) and then hardened to cherry red and tempered to purpley-blue (as per the recommendations for screwdrivers in the little book I use for reference). I then gave them a good clean up with wet and dry paper.

Today I turned a couple of handles for them:

View attachment 191281
Very nice.
Making your own always worth considering making the very tip parallel, reduces the chances of it camming out.

Very nice.
Thanks
Making your own always worth considering making the very tip parallel, reduces the chances of it camming out.
Yes, I did that: the tips are hollow ground which (assuming it's ground with the bit near the tip on a tangent to the grinding wheel, which I was careful to do) has the effect of making the tip parallel.

I made one of these a few months ago using some wet Birch (1st pic) which warped a little into a more organic shape when it dried.
I enjoyed making it and I decide to have another go but using some dry Walnut to see how it turned out. I'm happy with the result but at around 40 hours each I think that's enough.

20240630_131609.jpg

20241022_124347.jpg20241022_124713.jpg20241022_124421.jpg

20241022_125234.jpg20241022_125428.jpg

Latest posts

Back