Pocket Hole Screws Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thornley Marshall Designs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I didn’t realise that the Trend Mini Jig I bought didn’t come with screws and on the box it showed it did.

So I’m needing to buy some to finish this project by Sunday.

I’m not sure what size I’m needing and may require some different size screws, so

1) is there any you would recommend (like brand etc)?

2) where to get them? (If you have a link, I would be grateful).

I’m needing soft and hard wood screws

I've used Trend pocket hole screws before. Note they use the Robertson Square drive if I remember correctly. You need the long Robertson driver bit for this. I personally prefer the UKJ pocket hole screws which you can get from Axminster which have a Torx type head. The trend screws can be had from a number of places including Toolstation. Kreg also do screws but can't remember which drive type they use.
Regarding thread type, there are coarse thread available for material like MDF and finer thread for hardwoods etc.

Screw length - look at this chart for a guide Kreg Screw Guide

Hi, I’ve just dug this chart out from my kreg pocket hole jig so this should show what length of screw you need.

Toolstation is slightly cheaper than Screwfix for the screws.

I’m not sure either of them sell the square drive bit you will need though, maybe Amazon on prime delivery if you are needing to sort by Sunday?

Cheers
Pete

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpeg
    IMG_1493.jpeg
    2.5 MB
I've used Trend pocket hole screws before. Note they use the Robertson Square drive if I remember correctly. You need the long Robertson driver bit for this. I personally prefer the UKJ pocket hole screws which you can get from Axminster which have a Torx type head. The trend screws can be had from a number of places including Toolstation. Kreg also do screws but can't remember which drive type they use.
Regarding thread type, there are coarse thread available for material like MDF and finer thread for hardwoods etc.

Screw length - look at this chart for a guide Kreg Screw Guide
Thanks I found the screw size via that link, that’s helped a lot. Do you have a link for the screws you buy?

Hi, I’ve just dug this chart out from my kreg pocket hole jig so this should show what length of screw you need.

Toolstation is slightly cheaper than Screwfix for the screws.

I’m not sure either of them sell the square drive bit you will need though, maybe Amazon on prime delivery if you are needing to sort by Sunday?

Cheers
Pete
Thanks for this, I won’t buy from Amazon, I’ve found there are a lot of fake Chinese companies set up to look like the legit ones and they sell subpar items. In this case the screws would be made from a zing alloy which wouldn’t stand up to what I need to build.

Back