Pillar drill help with speeds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportique

Established Member
Reaction score
H E L P - does anyone own a similar pillar drill please? I need help with selecting various speeds.

Pillardrillplate.jpg

Pillardrill.jpg

The machine is probably about 30-40 years old and I have been unable to contact the manufacturer.

I have been able to set the lowest and highest speeds - this seems fairly clear, however, I do not know :oops: how to set the drive belts on the three pulleys for the speeds marked on the machine plate. Maybe someone with a machine manual could contact me.

Thanks

Dave

I'm only guessing but all these 3 pulley drills have probably got the same system. You could check out the Axminster manual downloads for one of their drills - it may help.

Mark

Mine's identical, but badged "Astra". Like you, I had wondered, but thought it was a case of slanted belts (like a bike durelier?). I've not had need to set anything other than the speed it came with so far, so I'll be interested to see if anyone has a manual. Never thought to check Axi.....Doh!

Sam

PS See label: "Part of Sealey group"?????? Ahhhhh.....

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Mark - a good idea I will check the Axminster site, thanks.

SammieQ - I have made up an Excel spreadsheet which calculates the chuck speed for all combinations of belt/pulley settings but it is only likely to be accurate if each pulley O.D. is known accurately. If you are interested PM me your email address and I'll send you the spreadsheet.
(Sealey's have not replied to my email)

LocalOak - sorry no topless pic to hand. But it is the same lay-out as RobertMP machine - 3 stacks of 4 pulleys.

RobertMP - thanks - that confirms my spreadsheet assumptions of how to set up the various selections. But there are significant differences - my motor runs at 100rpm and, looking at your pics, the pulley sizes of the motor pulleys on my machine are much larger OD.

Finally - if I can be confident of measuring the diameter of each pulley accurately, then my calculations will work. How do I measure these? To the outside of each rim or do I measure to the "inside" (i.e. bottom of the v-groove? Or some "mid-position" :?: :?: I would presume the bottom of the "V" groove :?: Maybe an engineer or someone into turning will know the answer to this.

Thanks again for your time/ideas/ and help

Dave

Not sure why you need to know the exact speed in any case. Mine stays on the speed you see unless I need it to go fast or slow for some reason. The actual rpm count is not that important.. just low speed for big bits and faster for small ones. My 'default' setting is fine for most things I drill in wood. If I was going to spend hours drilling the same thing I'd change to the ideal speed but don't bother generally.

Thanks for the pic, all clear now (ish).

In your shoes I would simply choose a small number of options and a range of speeds, three probably. For example, if you choose positions 7, 10 and 12 on your labels you keep the first belt in one position and change the other belt only to get 820, 1380 and 2850 rpm. I'm not sure what speeds you want but those three have the advantage of not needing to change one belt and give you a reasonable working range.

Personally I'd not worry too much about the exact speeds, except if you want to.

Toby

Latest posts

Back