Opinions on a very small drill ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heronviewer

Established Member
Reaction score
Screenshot (129).png

I've had a DeWalt one for about a decade now- similar to this, but it's that old it has the old 'plugin' XRP battery instead of the new XR slideon one...
1723914782795.png

Coupled with some specially ground down drillbits, it was worth its weight in gold doing autoelectrical work eg drilling holes under dashboards, through firewalls etc that a standard drill just didn't fit...

I've had a DeWalt one for about a decade now- similar to this...

Just an observation, but the ones with a keyless chuck seem taller than the ones with a keyed chuck (e.g. Makita DDA350Z or its corded equivalent).

As above, the right angled 1/4" hex drive ones can be quite low profile. Many drill bits are available in 1/4" hex these days (including stubby versions, but not from any known quality brand). You might have to cut some off the top of the hex if space is really tight.

Just an observation, but the ones with a keyless chuck seem taller than the ones with a keyed chuck (e.g. Makita DDA350Z or its corded equivalent).

As above, the right angled 1/4" hex drive ones can be quite low profile. Many drill bits are available in 1/4" hex these days (including stubby versions, but not from any known quality brand). You might have to cut some off the top of the hex if space is really tight.
I've noticed some of the newer ones do use an 'impact driver' hex head instead of either the keyless or even keyed chucks, and yes, that would allow them in much tighter areas than my 12+ year old beast lol

@ChaiLatte answerwd it for me. I would buy this Milwaukee impact rated hex angle adapter and some of their hex drills in whatever sizes.
They are decent and cheap.

96d9939b-be44-416e-9387-ae2bca2d1d46.jpg

48894709--Hero_1_1200x.jpg

Milwaukee do a big range of hex drills and bit sets if you have wider uses for them.
They also have less common sizes like 3.2 or 4.2mm. Some of these are the correct sizes for tapping popular threaded holes like M5. As the size of a simple pilot drill doesn't matter, I sometimes buy the tapping drill sizes by choice just so I have them kicking around.

If you want quality hex drive bits can I point you to Versadrive bits. They cut cleanly, very fast and last well. But, they're bloody expensive, around £25-£75 per bit! I bought two for a specific job but a full set is around £600.

Latest posts

Back