On the pitted vintage hand tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diytoolbox

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bought recently a set of vintage wood carving gouge set ADIS with 12 gouges in the set.
The gouges must be about 100 years old. All the gouges were heavily rusted when they arrived, so it took me days to clean the rust on the metal parts on the gouges. I used vinegar, WD40 and rough sand paper to clean the rust.

But when the rust is cleaned, I can see heavy pitting on all the gouges blades. The pittings are not structurally going to destroy the metals, but they are quite noticeable visually with the small holes everywhere.

Are there good methods in treating the pitting on the gouges? The only method I could think of was to further grind them under the belt sander, but it may also take off quite large amount of the metal on the gouges making them not strong for actual carving works.

So just going to sharpen and hone to use in wood carving works, but will the pitted gouges last for long? Or will they keep pitted further into more damages on the metal parts ?
Are there better way treating pitted vintage hand tools?

Back