Next up:

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOJ

Established Member
Reaction score
And for my next project, I will be converting this lot:

Oak boards.jpg

Into something like this:

stable door 44mm open out.jpg

And along with that, I am converting this lot:

skirt boards 1.jpg skirt boards 2.jpg skirt boards 3.jpg skirt boards 4.jpg

Into 150m of this:

chamfered-single-edge.jpg

And, yes it could be bought in, but its only in 3m lengths some of ours need to be nearly 6m in one piece, and quite a few shorter, so once we worked out the cost of the waste its about the same as making it.

Darn! Don’t mention Brigg!! He’s a star and we don’t want everyone starting to use him! How the heck will I get cutters made!!!😁😂

Late start today, but got on with machining the T & G boards.

I use a method called back fencing for making these, the benefit is the boards don't need to be cut to the given width, the tongue and groove is made at the the same time as the board is dimensioned to the required width by referencing away from the cutter head, on a back mounted fence, the ultimate benefit is you can make very small adjustments to gain the exact finished size.

In this picture you can see the back reference fence bolted to the SM table, (the MDF) and a couple of pieces of bent spring steel, made from an old bandsaw blade, which keeps the board pushed away from the cutter head and onto the back fence:

back fence.jpg

With a little measuring and deduction I set the back fence to give me the finished width I need, and with the aid of a power drive it just gets on with it.

back fence 1.jpg

And the result, with a little margin allowance for expansion.

T&G boards.jpg

Back