New Diesel & Petrol Ban

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, who was the old guy? Not sure why you would listen to this sort of rubbish, but it's precisely how new fash brown out the horseshoe to appeal to the submissive who like the idea of strongmen leaders.
Once you start to become selective on sources of info then any outcome or conclusion you make will be equally biased, dismissing things you do not agree with or understand is equally biased.

Then the car would end up looking like it was made out of corrugated iron
A bit like some of those french vehicles, yes steel for bodywork is not just any old steel as it has certain qualities that allow it to be stamped and as you say gett wrong and it creases or might tear.

Now what happens if the grid cannot provide the power demand? Well it’s not the case that the lights just dim a bit, the whole network shuts down and needs a restart. The lights go out, and that takes time.

Rolling blackouts. It's all planned for.

A major issue for the Uk is that with such extortionate energy prices then it is not a place where industry would want to set up or relocate a business to as it just makes it non competative and then add on all the other cost and you look elsewhere that might be more welcoming. This government just does not understand that for businesses to start and grow you need to view them as an asset to the country and not just something that you milk till dry.

Now granny and grandad who have converted or live in a house with either air or ground source, bought an electric car will fully understand why they are freezing to death and can’t get an emergency vehicle to take them to hospital, as they too are all now electric and can’t drive to hospital with a heart attack or having fallen as their car is also electric. I forgot, they won’t have the winter fuel allowance so they won’t have the heating on anyway!

And once you have walked to the hospital it will be in utter chaos as all the IT systems will be down. Not to mention the inability to do anything in a hospital without power.

Better to freeze to death peacefully at home.

I am just waiting, patience is a virtue. We have just switched off our very last coal fired electric generating plant that provided a really decent chunk of the UKs electrical needs. It’s gone, never to return. So, we now rely heavily on wind (c30% and increasing) and solar (4% and increasing) that wonderful natural resource that never ends…..apart from on days when it doesn’t blow and when the sun doesn’t shine! Of course, since we are running at over 85% of generating capacity, if the wind doesn’t blow it won’t be an issue to make up the extra generating capacity required….with???.??
Now what happens if the grid cannot provide the power demand? Well it’s not the case that the lights just dim a bit, the whole network shuts down and needs a restart. The lights go out, and that takes time.

Now granny and grandad who have converted or live in a house with either air or ground source, bought an electric car will fully understand why they are freezing to death and can’t get an emergency vehicle to take them to hospital, as they too are all now electric and can’t drive to hospital with a heart attack or having fallen as their car is also electric. I forgot, they won’t have the winter fuel allowance so they won’t have the heating on anyway!
By "a really decent chunk" are you referring to the 1.1% of our national power generation last year?

Once you start to become selective on sources of info then any outcome or conclusion you make will be equally biased, dismissing things you do not agree with or understand is equally biased.
Sorry, but authoritarian and fash beliefs are just wrong. Open-mindedness is not a virtue without limits. I think you would accept there is no need to be open-minded to cannibalistic beliefs or those of sadistic mass-murderers.

Some of you gents really need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.
Nuclear powered cars?

Sorry, but authoritarian and fash beliefs are just wrong. Open-mindedness is not a virtue without limits. I think you would accept there is no need to be open-minded to cannibalistic beliefs or those of sadistic mass-murderers.
Are all 'authoritarian beliefs' wrong?

Nuclear powered cars?
No, I was referring to the suggestion (with lots jumping on the bandwagon subsequently) that the closing of the last coal-fired power station in the UK was going to plunge us all into darkness and dystopian chaos. Coal-fired (and oil-fired) power stations have been shutting down and not replaced for the last 40 years or more. We seem to have survived so far.

Last edited:
This is today's electricity generation ! Wind and solar alongside nuclear and gas have strongly helped us to kick the coal habit! https://grid.iamkate.com/ - this website is very informative and I don't understand what such data isn't made available on a daily basis just like when we look out for weather forecasts on TV! We should have an energy supply/demand forecast! That would improve the quality of debate about energy security

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 18.37.32.png

This is today's electricity generation ! Wind and solar alongside nuclear and gas have strongly helped us to kick the coal habit! https://grid.iamkate.com/ - this website is very informative and I don't understand what such data isn't made available on a daily basis just like when we look out for weather forecasts on TV! We should have an energy supply/demand forecast! That would improve the quality of debate about energy security

View attachment 189312
Come on now, don't let's have actual data muddying the equation.

1727810673298.png

The last 28 days above are quite typical. Alternation periods of wind and calm. Currently gas and imports make up the shortfalls.
1727810912206.png

Over the last year (as above).

So - The more renewable we generate the less expensive gas we need to buy.

We could generate more wind power but that gives us the problem of what to do with the excess when we get more than we need.

Lots of things are being tried. Pumping water up hill, compressing air, heating sand, batteries, hydrogen.

The problem is that the energy to store is immense and we need to be able to hold about 3 weeks worth. We used to store piles of coal but no more, we used to store gas in gasometers till the IRA intervened. I doubt we will arrive at a one size fits all solution, but we will find a solution. I am very confident of that as there is so much money to be made by those who back the right horse or horses.

Back