Network cable to the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been for sometime wanting to run a computer connection to my workshop as the wifi won't reach it. Main reason is to listen to FiveLive and the footy commentary as they are much better quality than the weak MW signal that reaches to NL

Now between the workshop and the house I have a 35m telephone connection (4 core cable) and I was wondering is there anyway I can use this as a computer network cable? Network cables have 6 connections but I was wondering do you need to connect all 8 or like telephone cables can you get away with using less. You can buy Computer network outlet boxes with screw connectors for each wire. Before I try and use the telephone cable to pull through a network cable, I thought I'd ask this

I know this is not strictly a woodworking question (hence off topic) but would value greatly any advice

Cheers

AndyBoyd":1k93zi2r said:
I have been for sometime wanting to run a computer connection to my workshop as the wifi won't reach it. Main reason is to listen to FiveLive and the footy commentary as they are much better quality than the weak MW signal that reaches to NL

Now between the workshop and the house I have a 35m telephone connection (4 core cable) and I was wondering is there anyway I can use this as a computer network cable? Network cables have 6 connections but I was wondering do you need to connect all 6 or like telephone cables can you get away with using less. You can buy Computer network outlet boxes with screw connectors for each wire. Before I try and use the telephone cable to pull through a network cable, I thought I'd ask this

I know this is not strictly a woodworking question (hence off topic) but would value greatly any advice

Cheers

IIRC - you need a min of 2 pairs, but I wouldn't use phone cable, signal might degrade significantly before it gets to you.

The following might be useful,

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_lan.htm

Dibs

Thanks Dibs, so it seems I just connect 1,2,3, and 6

Since I already have the telephone cable running 30m under the garden to the workshop I'll just try it. If it fails I'll try laying a real cable

Cheers & keep you posted

Nadolig Llawen - Merry Christmas

Try it by all means, but if you do get it to work it will be nowhere near the capacity it should run at.

Do you have the necessary crimps and crimping tool too? I think you will find that the pairs in a bellwire are much thinner than in UTP, and you should be using CAT5 at least.

might be worth investing in a wireless access point that you can situate on the outside of the house. You'll have to make sure it's well locked down. But better than digging the garden up.

Hi,

Cat5 cable is special stuff all the pairs are twisted at differently to minimise cross talk, phone cable is twisted but not as tightly as Cat5 and all the same, so it won't work. We had some cables at work that where wired wrong, one pair was split between to two pairs, and they caused lots of intermitant problems, they where used as the patch cable from the wall socket to the computer usually 1 or 2 meters long. so 30 meters would mess your signal up compleatly.

Pete

Hi
I might be an amatuer woodworker but as a professional network cabler I have to say you're wasting your time with 2 pair phone wire, attenuation will kill the signal within a few meters and streaming radio or internet content will fail dismally.

Use CAT5e at least and use a sheilded exterior grade if you can - a wireless repeater might also work but are not known for reliability with streaming content. If you run a workshop with motors and overhead flourescents, you might get some EMF interferance too...

Sorry, but you need to hardwire it to be sure.

Would you use a Stanley surform as a bench plane??

Now - back to looking for infomation on router tables...... :wink:

Also i'd mention that computers and dust do not mix , sdo if you just want to listen to the radio just get a decent radio, may be a dab if theres digital signal in your area

Purchased Homeplugs last week, easy to install, just plug and play.
Was £37 last week, but the price has been hiked up as all the owners of Freesat HD boxes are buying them ready for BBCi Player beta being released, just before Christmas.

Comes with a disc for encryption.

Sawdust Producer":2n7oxym3 said:
Purchased Homeplugs last week, easy to install, just plug and play.
Was £37 last week, but the price has been hiked up as all the owners of Freesat HD boxes are buying them ready for BBCi Player beta being released, just before Christmas.

Comes with a disc for encryption.
Much better solution than trying to fudge ethernet over bell wire. Good plan.

thanks guys - all good solid advice, I'll leave the cable for the telephone , and maybe one of those Homeplug kits will do, never thought of that.

I cannot do DAB as I live in the Netherlands I'm affraid and our DAB only carries dutch carriers, so it's the internet or Crappy MW I'm affraid
Thanks again

AndyBoyd":eg09zgze said:
and maybe one of those Homeplug kits will do, never thought of that.

The Dutch might not be so "not bothered" if you start causing inteference with radio signals in the locality.

Get some Cat5 (or if you are staying put - Cat6) cable in.

Definitely use the broadband through the mains cable.
I have it in my workshop about 150 feet from the house and it works fine.
Just remember not to use any surge protection.

AndyBoyd":2icpthy0 said:
I cannot do DAB as I live in the Netherlands I'm affraid and our DAB only carries dutch carriers, so it's the internet or Crappy MW I'm affraid
Thanks again

in that case how about leaving the computer in the house and just using twin flex to run extra long speaker cable into the workshop

Can someone explain in simple terms how this home plug system works please. It looks very interesting.

At the risk of infringing copyright, this is from the homeplugs.co.uk website.

"HomePlug units enable you to expand your network using the existing electrical wiring within your home. The data travels from one HomePlug to another. No drivers required, operating system independent. Plug any Ethernet device into the HomePlug and away you go - High speed reliable networking."

Mattty":12opoh13 said:
Can someone explain in simple terms how this home plug system works please. It looks very interesting.
Brittlehearts summing up is about right.

In very simple terms it uses your home ring main as a basic ethernet network which in essence allows you to :

- Plug in a homeplug next to your internet router with an ethernet cable between the two

- Then stick another homeplug in another socket anywhere around the house, with an ethernet cable to your pc

and the home ring main will carry the signal for you.

Simples ;)

A caveat

"Can I use HomePlugs between a house and an out-building ?

In most cases the answer is no - this is because the homeplug signal deteriorates through consumer/fuse boxes and in the case above multiple boxes are in use. We have had some customers where it has worked - it maybe worth calling us to discuss your needs."

As I said earlier:
I use "home plugs" or whatever the BT version is called, and they work fine. Connected to socket ring main in the house and power ring main in the workshop. So through 2 x consumer units. No issues. Speed in the workshop is about 5% slower than the house, but thats acceptable. No problems streaming or large downloads.
The BT power/net adaptors came with the BT hub, might be worth asking around to see if any BTusers have them surplus ( not always needed for set up)
I think the BT ones are expensive bought separately, so might be better quality than the cheaper options available.
To reiterate......150 feet plus from house to workshop, going through 2 x consumer units via ring mains and no problems at all.

Back