Network cable to the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to have a play with homeplugs. The concept is intriguing.

wizer":x752icro said:
I'd like to have a play with homeplugs. The concept is intriguing.

BBCi Player is now in operation tonight on Freesat (Beta), So giving the Homeplugs a good run on catch up tv.

Heres how to connect them, ever so simple.

Link.

Apparently, so my lad told me, they are faster than wireless, so ideal for gamers and streaming video.

Have not got time tonight to try them down the shed, I'll have a go tomorrow, and let you people know.

TrimTheKing":13oytri0 said:
Dibs-h":13oytri0 said:
The Dutch might not be so "not bothered" if you start causing inteference with radio signals in the locality.
Eh? Me no unnerstand?

Homeplug is for ethernet over internal power cabling, how will that affect radio signals?

I do belive it affects Short Wave, have a look at the comments in the link below.

Link

Sawdust Producer":2kyzkrxv said:
TrimTheKing":2kyzkrxv said:
Dibs-h":2kyzkrxv said:
The Dutch might not be so "not bothered" if you start causing inteference with radio signals in the locality.
Eh? Me no unnerstand?

Homeplug is for ethernet over internal power cabling, how will that affect radio signals?

I do belive it affects Short Wave. have a look at the comments in the link below.

Link
Well, I never knew that! :duno:

big soft moose":3ohvevmy said:
AndyBoyd":3ohvevmy said:
I cannot do DAB as I live in the Netherlands I'm afraid and our DAB only carries dutch carriers, so it's the internet or Crappy MW I'm afraid
Thanks again

in that case how about leaving the computer in the house and just using twin flex to run extra long speaker cable into the workshop

Yes I did consider that too , but the home plug seems the best way to go, a master slave kit is only 29.99 euros here, so pretty good really

Thanks again everyone , excellent advice as per usual

Nadolig LLawen

I have half a dozen of the Homeplug AV units dotted around the place for use where my wireless don't get.
They're ok as a stop gap but that's all. Don't believe the tripe about 200Mb - they ain't. I get a pretty constant 3MB/s (approx 24Mb) throughput, which is enough for accessing anything I need to (ie streaming media).
I've never yet found an explanation as to what the 200Mb is supposed to refer to - I suppose it's a bit like the 300Mb 'n' wireless (ie that's what the standard says but in reality there's nowt that can do it).
I will at somepoint get around to running cat5e to each room - but it'll only happen as and when I get around to decorating ;).

I used to use homeplugs, however only as a last resort. They absolutley kill shortwave radio for potentially miles around... My dad is a hobby woodworker and keen radio enthusiast, and lives in a rural area, yet has almost had to give up the hobby.

I don't expect the general public to care, however as niche hobbiests, might be nice if we extended the courtesy of only using homeplug when there is absolutely no way to lay a cable or wifi.... As perfect as they sound...

I'm afraid I run my system on Homeplugs as when I had my Broadband upgraded, they found the cable from the supply terminal to my study damaged.
As a temporary measure I used some plugs but found it worked really well. So much so, the thought of threading a new cable upstairs through various rooms has put it way down the TUIT list?

Rod

I'd expect a lot of interference to be emitted from the 'Homeplugs' system, but it may be your only option.

Cat 5, and Cat 6 cables are a lot more carefully engineered than they look. They're "twisted-pair" systems, which is a way of reducing interference. The idea has been around since the dawn of audio communications, analogue and digital, but these are high-tech versions, and the transceivers (the electronics at each end) are very picky about the quality of cable they're connected to.

The only good thing is that all modern digital systems of this type are designed to 'degrade gracefully', so that, when there is interference or a cheap cable is used, the data rate will usually slow up to something the cable can manage, rather than fail entirely.

@Harbo:

It's most likely to be just a poor IDC ("punch down") connection on the back of the wall box faceplate though, and the ISP's engineer couldn't be bothered to check/remake it.

Assuming there's a few inches of slack cable at each end, it's an easy matter to re-make the connections - the punch-down tool is pennies from eBay or Maplins, etc., and the plates and wires have unambiguous colour coding.

Even if it is damaged, it might still be salvageable: Cat5 or Cat6 has four twisted-pair circuits, but Ethernet (computer-to-computer) connections usually use only two pairs at a time, leaving two pairs unused (two Ethernet connections can't share a cable, because of interference).

It may be that you have enough undamaged pairs to make your 'faulty' cable work for you, but you'd have to check them out individually. As long as you keep to the designated 'pairs' (solid green with green-white, solid orange with orange-white, and so on), and don't mix different colours together, you only need two sets to work properly and it's probably fine*. I can't remember which two are usually used, but Google will find it quickly.

Cheers, E.

*purists will argue about that for ultra-high-speed connections, but at typical broadband speeds it probably doesn't matter a bit. Not using proper cable matters loads, though.

No it was just a BT extension for a land line not an Ethernet cable.
I will get around to it one day?

Rod

Latest posts

Back