MDF Shaker doors for bathroom best way?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Nearly two decades as a maker and I can’t think of anything I have made from mdf apart from templates.

Im making a bathroom furniture for the sink and toilet at home.
Due to the shape of the room and old waste pipes buying isn’t an option.

I know a lot of you would have made a lot of these from mdf but I want to know what in your experience is the best way to make them?

would you make up frames with a panel?

Or

18mm and plant on thinner strips?

Why would you chose that process?

I've made plenty of shaker doors, though always from MRF rather MDF, much better to spray or paint. I always rout half way through from the front to form the rails, then rout half way through from the back, at a 10mm offset, to form the rebate. Square the corners with a Trend corner chisel, drop in a 9mm panel, job done. I've never liked the lay on method as I never use filler as it will eventually show through a sprayed finish. There's also a chance of bowing with the lay on method.

I've made plenty of shaker doors, though always from MRF rather MDF, much better to spray or paint. I always rout half way through from the front to form the rails, then rout half way through from the back, at a 10mm offset, to form the rebate. Square the corners with a Trend corner chisel, drop in a 9mm panel, job done. I've never liked the lay on method as I never use filler as it will eventually show through a sprayed finish. There's also a chance of bowing with the lay on method.
Thank you for this. Just trying to save time with the lay on method.
I also want a 3mm lip. 6mm is too much for the look.

But 4mm is a very easy compromise
Seems like I’m making and gluing them up now doesn’t it 🤣

Due to the shape of the room and old waste pipes buying isn’t an option.

Not that it lends itself to a woodworking forum, but if you search out a distributor of BA Components "Bella" range you can get inexpensive shaker style doors made in many styles in absolutely any size and a huge range of finishes https://byba.co.uk/retail/door-ranges/

Thank you for that. I’ve decided I’m just going to make them out of some meranti I’ve got lying around. Was just trying to save time and money. It rarely works out that way

Back