MDF edges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some some product to seal the MDF edges of kitchen cabinet doors against water absorption. My go-to product has always been thinned epoxy resin but don't have any just now and don't want to buy 4 litres for just a small job.

All of the kitchen doors I have made are from MR MDF, I use a high build primer then topcoat which is more than enough to protect the edges against moisture. If your cabinets have square edges you could consider paintable melamine edging but it's not necessary if you sand the edges before painting.

All of the kitchen doors I have made are from MR MDF, I use a high build primer then topcoat which is more than enough to protect the edges against moisture. If your cabinets have square edges you could consider paintable melamine edging but it's not necessary if you sand the edges before painting.
These are all new doors and have a small radius on the front edge. I intend to blow on two coats of a water based lacquer sealer/primer, cut with 400 grit and then spray on two coats of a laquer top coat. The paint system is designed for the automotive industry and also recommended for MDF cabinetry where a hard wearing coating is required. There was some water ingress into the old doors under the sink - paint system unknown. I guess I should trust this car laquer to perform as stated in the tech sheets and not bother about any additional MDF edge protection?

Latest posts

Back