Mapping a field

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Odd one here, how do you accurately measure and draw a field in this day and age?
This one in particular

https://maps.app.goo.gl/awsShd8s4xfNgx2n6

Cheers, Andy

Screenshot_20230516-101153_Samsung Internet.jpg

If it's an old field, look at an old map, which should be accurate. The trouble with mapping from satellite pictures is that they fail to take gradients into account, so can often give an acreage well below the true figure - just ask any farmer on hilly ground about DEFRA working out subsidy payments based on photos from above!
A land surveyor will also do a good job and shouldn't be exorbitantly expensive as they have all the kit and know-how. Or just use basic geometry, but the more detailed the map, the more accurate the result, so worth spending some time on.

Look at an OS map - should be accurately scaled. Just depends if the field boundaries have changed since it was printed! 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 are the two common scales, but may be more detailed local ones near cities/urban areas.

Yes re gradients but otherwise there is an App (of course) which means your phone can give you the area instantly. My son works in Civil Engineering and uses it - with circumspection.
Ian

Google maps do a measure area (right click and select) and you can pull lines to shape of field it will give you area and lengths.

Some Council planning Sites are OS based and let you zoom into 1:500, print one off and use a ruler. The Gov's Defra Magic Map lets you zoom in lots. . Using Magic map shows the bottom edge to be 176 mtrs, the circumference to be 945 and area to be 48,000 sq mtrs. My clicking on the map might be out by a mm or two, Or the old way and pace it out on the ground. How accurate are you wanting it to be.
Alex.

If it's an old field, look at an old map, which should be accurate. The trouble with mapping from satellite pictures is that they fail to take gradients into account, so can often give an acreage well below the true figure - just ask any farmer on hilly ground about DEFRA working out subsidy payments based on photos from above!
A land surveyor will also do a good job and shouldn't be exorbitantly expensive as they have all the kit and know-how. Or just use basic geometry, but the more detailed the map, the more accurate the result, so worth spending some time on.
A map will have the same projection issues as the satellite image. If you have contour lines available, like on OS, then you can make an adjustment but still potentially inaccurate. I guess it depends on the OP’s accuracy requirement.

Depends what you want the map for. Boundary lines often not very precisely defined. Scaling from OS is best way for many purposes. Visually determining what defines the boundaries and/or locating them even with GPS, may not quite coincide with map measurements. If you try to work up a better map your neighbour might not agree with it!

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, very enlightening.
I'm currently helping to mark out the field for our Ashby Magna Vintage Rally this weekend and would love to see things made easier by hopefully (in the future) having the option to digitally fit everything into this area.

So as you can see accuracy down to a foot or two would be nice
For this purpose field can be classed as flat.
Cheers, Andy
picture-23_orig.jpg

Thanks for your replies, very enlightening.
I'm currently helping to mark out the field for our Ashby Magna Vintage Rally this weekend and would love to see things made easier by hopefully (in the future) having the option to digitally fit everything into this area.

So as you can see accuracy down to a foot or two would be nice
For this purpose field can be classed as flat.
Cheers, Andy
View attachment 182693
Google Earth is a pretty good option for this use. You can draw on it and also measure.

I do this at work.

I pay for a Topographical Survey.
The chap uses a Total Station (digital theodolite).
For a small field like that it wouldn't take long and probably cost about £800.

A quick Google for a local Land Surveyor will yield what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I am doing something similar for our allotment field. Work from old OS large scale mapping free on the NLS website and print out. The main thing to bear in mind with mapping is that the hedges are an awful lot wider than the map line.

So, just thinking about this, I suppose once I have the size and shape some type of sheet material cultist generator may be usable but I've just realised will that not jumble up the blocks into any convenient position.... ?
I'm needing to move stuff around on screen.
Cheers, Andy

Emapsite.com You can buy the digital version of the land registry and os maps. If you buy the .dxf versions they can be viewed and measurements made in DWG Trueview which is a free download from Autodesk.

So, just thinking about this, I suppose once I have the size and shape some type of sheet material cultist generator may be usable but I've just realised will that not jumble up the blocks into any convenient position.... ?
I'm needing to move stuff around on screen.
Cheers, Andy
I would use Google Earth to put a few key dimensions on then take a screen shot and open that in a drawing program. You can then latey on the information you want using the known dimensions to scale. As a Fusion360 user I’d do it all in there but even something simple like PowerPoint could be used.

Last edited:
A hiking app on the phone can mark locations reasonably close. You still want to call for a utility locating if you are going to do any digging.

Pete

Back