Interesting pieces of furniture 18

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

OK, here we have the 18th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

From the Pollaro workshop after Ruhlman. Im a fan of a lot of their stuff and in business terms theyre an interesting setup

04.jpg

05.jpg

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

I will copy all items of furniture I post here into a single sticky thread in the Design Forum, thus creating a pictorial 'list' of interesting furniture here

I'm not a fan of these pieces with long skinny legs with a cabinet plonked on top. Looks odd to me and a lots of wasted space.

As someone with less than adequate flat woodworking skills I don't usually comment on these designs but this one really needs a comment.

Looks very much like the sort of thing that was being turned out in the late 50's early 60's. Reminds me of something from an H.G. Wells book, a bit like a four legged Tripod :lol: .

I would love to have the skill to make it but wouldn't waste the skill making it.

Pete

I'm not entirely sure what it is. :? An elaborate locker perhaps?

I can appreciate the craftmanship, but I don't like it at all. I don't like the way the legs don't match. The finger jointed top doesn't suit the rest of the piece. The hinges are ugly, and I have never been a fan of burr veneers. Apart from that, it's great. :)

Nice to have you back Tony. :D

The door work I like quite a lot, but the over long asymmetrical legs do nothing for me at all, generally not to my taste - Rob

I love Ruhlman - Art Deco stuff really gets me excited - even if it is far removed from the type of work i do.
Cheers
Philly :D

Interesting how the people who don't like stuff are more vocal than those who do?

Seem to have noticed this on this topic before.

David

David C":1k0tta9a said:
Interesting how the people who don't like stuff are more vocal than those who do?

David

David,

I know that when I am being negative, I feel I have to justify my opinion. A simple ""I don't like it" isn't a very constructive statement.

David C":2sz4g3mm said:

David

True. Anyone else like this piece? (i don't like to comment either way as I post them up).

Good to be back Slim, and thanks :D

Philly":22av318r said:
I love Ruhlman - Art Deco stuff really gets me excited - even if it is far removed from the type of work i do.
Cheers
Philly :D

Me n Thee both, I'm a big fan of Ruhlman, which is how I came across the Pollaro workshop. They have some fantastic work I think. My favourite part of this piece is the door which is so stunning that it overcomes my unease with the legs.
Cheers Mike

It is certainly a very interesting piece but I'd love to know what is locked up inside...or perhaps it is best kept locked...either way I expect collectors of this kind of work pay heavily for the priviledge of owning such a piece.

Hmmm, tough one. I love the door, but the legs strike me immediately as odd, not because they are spindly but because they don't match. Would like to see inside too, hope its not just a single shelf inside, would rather see a number of drawer fronts - 3x3 perhaps? However, I could forgive the legs after staring at it for a while. The more I look at the piece though, the more the top starts to impinge as not matching the body or the legs. Putting my hand over the square top I like it, as it is the top seems to spoil the piece for me.

Steve.

I also like Art Deco stuff. It conjures up thoughts of a very interesting time in the history of architecture, arts and crafts. The problem with passing comments on a piece like this is that I think there is a tendency to think 'That wouldn't look very nice in my lounge'. It probably wouldn't - but it no doubt looks fabulous in the setting for which it was designed.

I think the craftsmanship is superb and I wish I could make stuff as well as that.

Overall a thumbs up from me.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I like seeing this type of furniture, where it's not really made to serve a purpose, though not always, but to show off skills. The more you look the more you see, and wonder, how did they do that? It's good that we all have different taste or life would be very dull. It floats my boat....

I personally am usually in awe of finely crafted furniture and normally marvel at the strength obtained in the selection of wood and joints for lightweight legs on chippendale and the like which manage to stand the test of time. (often seen on hands and knees in NT houses pearing under tables)
Although the craftsmanship in this piece appears superb I'm afraid the whole Art Deco look and uncomplimentary leg forms to me smack of someone having made it just because they could.

First impression was that as Chamber Pot store it stood a good chance of spilling its contents.

Love it, As someone has pointed out it good to see something a little different. i think that would look great in a bedroom with some personal items ie. jewelry. i have to say that i am making something similar but obvisually it won't be anywhere near that quality.
I love the choice of wood and I am always inpressed with those delicate stringing bits.
For me , personally, furniture which is hand made should be a little bit like art due to the time and cost involved. Therefore like art some love it some hate it.
Owen

Mmm very mixed feelings on this one, I love the door, I even like the contrast between the timbers, I like the long tapering legs, But the hinges are ugly and seem out of place as does the finger jointing on the top. But then it is out of place as we are not seeing it in the intended setting.
I dont think I would find room for it but I would love to get my hands on it.

hello all,
an interesting piece & thanks for posting it.
Perhaps the way to learn from looking at it is to try to get at why each of us likes or dislikes it.
For myself, I like the colours and don't mind the chosen woods - the colours do go together ok.
Form wise its a bit odd but obviously been designed as a showy / elegant rather than (purely) functional / storage piece. That's not a criticism - the client may well have asked for this. In my own house I don't have the space spare to have arty pieces which don't hold much stuff & need acres of space to show the piece off properly - but there's nothing wrong with having this kind of stuff if you do.
One effect of the legs being different front to back is that your eye tends to look at the top of the front leg where it joins the carcase. Presumably that was the designers intention - bringing your eye to a point where all ofthe piece is readily seen from to start with.
Workmanship wise its hard to tell from the picture, but the work appears to be all of a good standard, which I like & admire. Most of us like things to be well made (even if simple).
What don't I like ? well, the finish is high gloss - a bit like covering it all over with plastic. I like to be more aware of the grain and feel of the wood. Otherwise why use wood ? Indeed this is an important question - why do WE use wood ; and in this case, why did this designer use wood rather than (say) plastic. Plastic could produce the same shapes, same colours as the finished wooden item. But plastic wouldnt have the same feeling of weight to look at or when touched. Wood is used in other things like piano's because, looks aside, piano's made from other materials, (indeed from other woods) don't SOUND the same - use of wood relates directly to the function of the item. No cabinet NEEDS to be made of wood, so the reasons for choosing wood relate to convention / customer preference ; and aesthetics (our love for wood). And if we love the wood, why hide it under full gloss like plastic, which makes it look like plastic ?
Probably because the (uneducated wood wise) client thinks this is what a good cabinet SHOULD be like ie. wrongly equating highly polished surfaces with quality of workmanship in general. (go on , admit it , we all did this as beginnners didn't we, - looked at some french polish, had a go on some scrap, looked again at the real thing and went "wow" ; then we learnt the "wow factor" of some of the alternatives we never even knew existed, & started to educate ourselves about wood in general & cabinetry in particular, & discovered a whole world of different but good stuff out there).
Then there's the design in general. It strikes me as a bit showy - a bit "all fur coat and no knickers" - the design doesn't in any way seem to reflect the construction which is used to make the piece. And this latter criticism is the carrying point in why I don't like the piece, even though its well made.
A good piece of cabinetry makes the joints an integral part of the design and not a showy add on (like the pedestal top is here). You can hide the joints if you want to or show them if you want to. To do so makes such joints appropriate to the piece ; but why use joints which aren't appropriate for the kind of junction ? The top here has no reason to be inset all round so this is done for looks alone, not function or constructional reasons. Nor does the top appear to need these finger joints in preference to some other form of construction. Which is what makes it all bit tarty as a design.
So no, its not my kind of cabinet, because although the workmanship and finish appears excellent, the design doesn't reflect the construction of the piece, so it is purely for "show".
Wow ! Hope you're still awake at the back there !
regards, Catface.

I like the spindly quality of it although the decoration is very garish/gauche for my tastes.
I think the asymetry of the legs is to force the idea that its to be placed against a wall.

Very very very skilful piece of work, not my cup of tea and not a piece I would have in my own house or make for anyone else as I would just not enjoy making it, simply for the fact that that I am not that keen on it, but, as craftsmen I think we should all appreciate the quality even if we don't like this particular style because you simply don't see much craftsmanship these days, well not in any of the high street stores.

I personally think that many people are not aware of quality items simply for the fact that they have never come across them!!! They are to used to the s**t you find every where and take it as the norm!!

PEOPLE NEED TO BE RE-EDUCATED!!!!!!

Why don't we organise a craft fair of our own!!!

Ok, a little late for a seasonal thing now, but, if we get our s**t together for next year it could be a real hit, and may even turn out to be a regular pilgrimage.

It may even pay for all the wood you need for that patio table!!!!!

Just a thought but i'm in!!!

Back