How to seal the metal shed to the base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croolis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello. Sorry it's another metal shed question. This time it's about sealant or other options. Took this image in the dark, apologies. Ignore the crappy corner trim thing, that's going to be covered over with a corner piece and sealed in place. That bit I'm not worried about.

What you're looking at is a corner of my metal shed that's sat on a frame of 2x4 that is itself covered by some angled white trim. There are bolts inside the shed fastening it to teh wooden frame.

Question is - you see the horizontal silver metal flashing that is coming off the metal wall base plate? I need to seal that against the white plastic trim beneath, as I'm getting water ingress through that bit, unsurprisingly. Lifting the shed in any way will be problematic now, also, the white plastic trim only goes a couple of centimetres further under the metal base plate and then there is exposed wood, so there's no sealing it inside, the wood would be constantly wetted from ingress, which I don't want. Need to seal it outside here.

I have some marine RTV that I use for my boat which is adhesive. But if using that, how to apply? I guess I could just do a big triangular bead that goes ~45 degrees from the white plastic to contact vertical part of the silver metal trim (not worried about how much to use, this tube will go off before I use it all). That way water will never get trapped behind the bead. Like a bathtub.

But I'm also considering tape, but I know nothing about it. Like a roofing tape or something, just lay tape across the seam. Would it be appropriate? I don't mind if it needs to be replaced every year or two, as long as it'll come off, wouldn't be too much effort.

As always, thanks for replies. I've had leaks through the roof screws, but am having success sealing those with roofing and gutter sealant, horrible black tarry stuff that never completely goes off (wear gloves!). Won't be using that down here. Hopefully this final problem is the end of the issues and I can actually start using the thing.

20241015_065241.jpg

Last edited:
Back