Keir Starmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In business you are obliged to pay as little as you can pay legally. That's why people employ accountants.Campaign to get laws changed if you think they should pay more, morals have absolutely nothing to do with it. I assume you voluntarily pay more income tax than you have to?

...and therein lies the problem regarding the GFA.
You're approaching the issue as though it can't be resolved. It was never thought that there could be a solution prior to the GFA but it happened through negotiation and the same could be achieved with regard leaving the ECHC. It depends upon the willingness to resolve the issues.

Once again you're looking at the EU issue through the same flawed glasses.
The EU is a dreadful protectionist organisation that has access to our markets which benefits them in the form of a huge trading deficit in their favour and disadvantages the UK.
If they are alleged trading partners then why has there always been a huge trading deficit in their favour? That trading deficit should be greatly reduced by either making it easier to access to their markets or restricting the EU's access to our markets or by negotiating more favourable terms.

I can guarantee that if their access to our markets of such as their car industries was restricted it would go into rapid decline with the host nations going into recession but we don't seem to have stomach to face them down.
Once again you're just batting off a request for a rationale of your views with a "it's your negative attitude that's the problem".

Which parts of the EU do you feel we cannot trade with? I think we can trade with all of it provided we recognise that we need to sell products and services that meet their chosen standards. That's exactly the same with any trading relationship.

The notion that we want to not be a member but have unfettered access to sell products and services without checks that what we are supplying complies to their standards is daft. Our choice to leave has created the frictional cost of doing business. If we restrict access to our car market jobs in the Midlands, North East, Merseyside are immediately at risk. We have very little leverage as capital and production will move. There never was an "oven ready deal".

Generally, brinksmanship in negotiating doesn't get the best outcome. It's far better to build on things that add value to both parties. It's to be hoped that the less confrontational approach that the current government seem to be trying to adopt can achieve this.

I'm sure you'll have a comeback that paints me as a pinko left wing negative person. I do really wonder how I've got through life hamstrung by not having your incisive and clear articulation of how to make things better ;)

AnywayI'm off to do some woodwork!

Maybe Phil and ey_tony are actually Brian Niccol and Jeff Bezos in disguise. That's the only logical reason I can think for why they'd be so defensive of massive corporate tax avoidance.

Being serious - and appealing to their clearly stated desire for hard work and absence of handouts; these multinationals are only able to operate (and make profit) in countries that have functioning economies. I.e. ones with working roads, rule of law, an educated population capable of working in their offices and factories; and (in the case of the UK) workers that should have a basic level of health due to the availability of the NHS. All of these services are funded by tax.

So by abusing legally available mechanisms to avoid paying tax on their UK earnings they are quite literally eating a free lunch. They are reaping the benefits of services (funded by tax payers) whilst not contributing to the running of those services. Sounds an awful lot like an absence of honest work, and effectively scrounging for handouts like lazy benefits cheats. The fact it's done in a shirt and suit rather than jeans and a t-shirt doesn't make it OK.

In business you are obliged to pay as little as you can pay legally. That's why people employ accountants.Campaign to get laws changed if you think they should pay more, morals have absolutely nothing to do with it. I assume you voluntarily pay more income tax than you have to?
I would agree that companies and individuals are entitled to arrange their affairs for their benefit rather than those of the tax man but there is no obligation to pay as little as you can legally.

The Companies Act requires directors of companies to act with regard to all stakeholders which includes shareholders, customers and the wider society in which the company operates. One of the listed companies I have been a director of paid more tax than it could have legally done as the board felt it was appropriate to do so.

Last edited:
So by abusing legally available mechanisms to avoid paying tax on their UK earnings they are quite literally eating a free lunch. They are reaping the benefits of services (funded by tax payers) whilst not contributing to the running of those services. Sounds an awful lot like an absence of honest work, and effectively scrounging for handouts like lazy benefits cheats. The fact it's done in a shirt and suit rather than jeans and a t-shirt doesn't make it OK.
It's a really difficult one to solve as any attempt to move to a principle based tax regime will just attract more accountants and lawyers. That's not to say it's not worth doing more to close gaps though.

The Inland Revenue also has a massive backlog on enforcement and were criticised earlier this year for not having a plan to close it. Getting that under control would also help.

All taxation is "a slice of the action" Where wealth is being generated it has to be taxed for the benefit of nations.
America is going to have to get to grips with its multinationals companies, so that they are not stripping the wealth from other countries. If large multinationals continue to hoover up available trade across the world without paying a proportionate amount of tax. locally, then the countries in which they trade, will become poorer.
I would like to think that when I purchase things, that a just proportion of that revenue stays inside the country. And that it isn't being syphoned off to send the likes of Jeff Bazos to Mars. :LOL:

I would agree that companies and individuals are entitled to arrange their affairs for their benefit rather than those of the tax man but there is no obligation to pay as little as you can legally.

The Companies Act requires directors of companies to act with regard to all stakeholders which includes shareholders, customers and the wider society in which the company operates. One of the listed companies I have been a director of paid more tax than it could have legally done as the board felt it was appropriate to do so.
What! as a member of a Board of Directors you paid more tax than required, that is the most stupid comment on the whole of this thread and I can't think that any same person would believe that to have been the case, in any case the BOD should have been voted out at the next AGM.

It's a really difficult one to solve as any attempt to move to a principle based tax regime will just attract more accountants and lawyers. That's not to say it's not worth doing more to close gaps though.

The Inland Revenue also has a massive backlog on enforcement and were criticised earlier this year for not having a plan to close it. Getting that under control would also help.
One of the more stupid policies during austerity was the dismissal of so many tax enforcement officers.
Many recovered considerably more than their own salaries, so as a cost saving measure pretty daft.
The whole thing needs a massive overhaul and simplification. That might hopefully leave less opportunities for accountants to find loopholes for their clients.

A question for you: Name one successful person in whatever field of your choosing where apathy was the motivating factor which helped them achieve success? You have plenty of examples to choose from so it should be an easy answer.

I'm quite sure there are many studies with a left wing flavour to explain why some are successful while others aren't and why it's someone or something else's fault why they weren't successful but the common themes in the background of virtually all the success stories I've ever read is that personal ambitions and aspirations to achieve success were the overriding and primary motivating/driving factors behind every successful person's achievements. Apathy genuinely never figured in their success as far as I'm aware.

Thousands of people in the UK on a daily basis overcome adversity, prejudice, disability etc etc in order to achieve their life's ambitions and success. They don't let obstacles stand of the way of success and will find ways around them.

By the same token,, millions of less successful people will have had similar opportunities but failed to grasp/recognise or take up the challenge for a variety of reasons but an integral part of their failure will invariably be apathy. They give up at the first hurdle whereas the successful will continue until their goals are reached.
You can list a host of reasons why some people aren't successful but it isn't the fault of the successful why others fail to achieve.

That arguably applies to the vexed GFA question too! Each time I've been asked the question regarding the GFA on here it comes across as if the person asking the question doesn't actually believe themselves that it can be resolved.
If one believes that a problem/issues are insurmountable and can't be resolved then they won't be, it's termed apathetic or the other explanation is that they don't actually want the issue to be resolved which then fits their own agenda.

If the issues are to be resolved then it needs open-minded people with a forward thinking visionary approach to the problems with a view to resolving them not Luddites with their apathy believing that they can't be resolved.

Sorry but I don't think I'll ever fit into your negative 'oh woe is me' world.

That's taking another binary and only describing a single side.

The fact remains that not all of those in "low paid jobs that anyone with half a brain could do" are in those jobs as a result of apathy.

There are several more factors at work here.

Another fact is that labelling studies as having a "left wing flavour" is nothing other than demonstrating a fundamental personal bias and bigotry.

You mentioned that education should be a lifelong endeavour, but my guess is that you favour a university education to be non-state funded?

There is also a fundamental cultural anchor at work in this country which weighs the mindset of UK Citizens down, and that is the issue of the Class System. Whereas, let's take France as an example, other nations had a Revolution in which all aristocrats were slaughtered, leaving behind a mindset of freedom, the UK still has at it's cultural root the idea of the supremacy of the Monarchy and that all laws are passed down from that Authority. (Other forms of quiet revolution exist that did not result in mass slaughter...)
As rational humans, we all know this supremacy and Authority exists is on paper alone, but in the subconscious of the National mindset, the idea of supremacy and class still pervades. Particularly since we still have hereditary peers in the upper chamber and the really badly skewed system of the very very small number of old-Etonians STILL making up the apparent majority proportion of successive and contemporary Tory Cabinet members.

So, as a counterpoint to your implication that the majority end up languishing in "low paid jobs...half a brain..." do so as a consequence of a lack of ambition and of their apathy, there are now TWO opposing facts:

- Not everyone ends up in half-brain jobs because of apathy;
- If everyone shed themselves of their apathy, the toilets would still need to be cleaned;

...and therein lies the problem regarding the GFA.
You're approaching the issue as though it can't be resolved. It was never thought that there could be a solution prior to the GFA but it happened through negotiation and the same could be achieved with regard leaving the ECHC. It depends upon the willingness to resolve the issues.

Once again you're looking at the EU issue through the same flawed glasses.
The EU is a dreadful protectionist organisation that has access to our markets which benefits them in the form of a huge trading deficit in their favour and disadvantages the UK.
If they are alleged trading partners then why has there always been a huge trading deficit in their favour? That trading deficit should be greatly reduced by either making it easier to access to their markets or restricting the EU's access to our markets or by negotiating more favourable terms.

I can guarantee that if their access to our markets of such as their car industries was restricted it would go into rapid decline with the host nations going into recession but we don't seem to have stomach to face them down.

Ah yes, the "we hold all the cards" myth which has been continually debunked as a flawed argument.

A question for you: Name one successful person in whatever field of your choosing where apathy was the motivating factor which helped them achieve success? You have plenty of examples to choose from so it should be an easy answer.
Stupid question.
Many people have been successful in spite of apathy, many people have struggled in spite of working hard.

It seems Conservatives are not all that keen on Labours plans to ban lucrative lobbying jobs

we might see a flurry of bye elections next year

Tory MPs consider resigning over Labour’s second job crackdown​

Senior party sources said that they expected ‘a drip of resignations’ to begin after the Conservative Party leadership contest
https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/url-tory-mps-resign-next-general-election-lhjlhpjzx

The irony being they probably only have those second jobs because they are MPs

What! as a member of a Board of Directors you paid more tax than required, that is the most stupid comment on the whole of this thread and I can't think that any same person would believe that to have been the case, in any case the BOD should have been voted out at the next AGM.
Sorry have startled you with that revelation but it's a mistake to think that boards make decisions that simply maximise the return for their shareholder. There are plenty of examples such as not taking the maximum support during COVID or making charitable donations which recognise doing the right thing builds long term value.

No directors were voted out and the major shareholders who were represented on the board fully bought into the decision.

Back