Vice lining?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What are you using to line vice jaws? Would it be crazy to use stair tread grip tape or something similar?

Thanks

I’ve always just had well planed bare wood, lining vice faces is a relatively modern fad. How tight do you need to squeeze a piece of work? If you are planing it, it is probably small or it would be against a stop on top of the bench so doesn’t need to be held that tight, if you are cutting mortises then again it should be on the top. Sawing? Either on a knee height trestle or against a saw hook on the bench top.
It’s very rare that I need to exert much pressure in the vice.
So there you go I think I’ve saved you the time and expense of fitting it lol.
Ian

Bare wood is as good as any and pine is more grippy than really hard woods. Leather is good if you are holding delicate bits of work. I lined my end vice with leather as I happened to have a bit and left the front vice bare wood so have both options. Leather is rough side holding the work. I wiped down the shiny side with acetone to remove any oils and stuck it on with PVA glue. Vice itself is the clamp then after 24 hours trim the edges.
P1010006.JPG
11 years on no signs of leather unsticking.
Regards
John

Plain wood softwood traditionally
I have a bit of good leather so I intend to try that on the next vice.

I have two vices which have medium soft plastic jaws:
one is a little record 2075 tabletop vice that is mostly used to hold metal without marking it.
The other is an Elu superjaws with a foot operated vice strong enough to crush softwood.

The other is an Elu superjaws with a foot operated vice strong enough to crush softwood.
I also have the Elu superjaws you can use and abuse this one it got used for everything metal, stone, wood, best one ever made in my opinion no leather on this one, only down side it takes up quite a bit of floor space, but you can fold it up and store till next time.

On the wood vice I always fitted 1/8" thick leather you get a good cushion, firm hold and no marks on whatever wood you hold in it.

Just a thought - would shoe leather be any good? If you have a worn out pair of shoes or boots then perhaps you could cut out the useable leather and glue it in sections so as to cover the entire jaw area. You would of course have to use similar coloured leather - it would not do at all to have some brown and some black on the same jaw. Must maintain standards.

K

Back