Guns,guns, and more Guns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point was simply that those who claim to own guns to protect themselves from their government might as well be armed in order to protect themselves from incoming asteroids; it'd have about as much use.
Is this purely for American revolutionaries, or revolutionaries in general? The American military machine has proved it has no answer to terrorist/unconventional /asymmetric warfare. Killing all the civilians may be a somewhat defensible strategy abroad, but at home?

Please note I am not advocating for an uprising, but I think the idea that F35s always beat AR15s is not necessarily correct.

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately it's not them we get to hear about.
You make a very pertinent point.

<> 7.8 billion people in the world.
<> 200 countries
And we get spoon fed a few minutes of so called news every 30 minutes, 24 hours a day.

How much of what's going on do we know.

Precious little I'd say.

There is no easy answer as to how to handle those that the vast majority of society feel need a close eye being maintained on them. Personally I’d risk hurting their feelings by not letting them own a gun though.

Happy New Year!
This is all very well when talking about "them"

Would you be so cavalier when you accidentally dropped your wallet and a young (insert ethnic group watched by the security services) picked it up and returned it.

Unknown to you he's on a watch list and now someone thinks you're worth watching,

So suddenly you can't buy a ticket to leave town.

After all nobody needs to leave town, you can get everything you need in town, why would anyone want to leave town anyway?

This is all very well when talking about "them"

Would you be so cavalier when you accidentally dropped your wallet and a young (insert ethnic group watched by the security services) picked it up and returned it.

Unknown to you he's on a watch list and now someone thinks you're worth watching,

So suddenly you can't buy a ticket to leave town.

After all nobody needs to leave town, you can get everything you need in town, why would anyone want to leave town anyway?

Sorry but I don’t get your point.

If anyone wants to watch me they’ll quickly get bored. As for leaving town I’m not sure that equates with owning a gun.

Is this purely for American revolutionaries, or revolutionaries in general? The American military machine has proved it has no answer to terrorist/unconventional /asymmetric warfare. Killing all the civilians may be a somewhat defensible strategy abroad, but at home?

Please note I am not advocating for an uprising, but I think the idea that F35s always beat AR15s is not necessarily correct.
I was mostly thinking about the "prepper" types in the US who advocate owning firearms to protect themselves from their government. They always seem to be unaware that their government has marines, and tanks... and stealth bombers.

Sorry but I don’t get your point.

If anyone wants to watch me they’ll quickly get bored. As for leaving town I’m not sure that equates with owning a gun.
I'll spell it out.

Would you be happy if your basic right to travel was curtailed because plod or MI whatever took an interest in your movements?

I'll spell it out.

Would you be happy if your basic right to travel was curtailed because plod or MI whatever took an interest in your movements?

You’re coming across as a bit confrontational.

Balancing the rights of individuals versus the greater good is a complex matter. Of course I would be concerned if the Police arbitrarily curtailed my right to travel. The notion though is a long way from permitting someone who the courts have deemed a risk and requiring to be monitored to own a gun.

I’m not going to get into a debate about the wider issues of civil liberties as it’s not something that can be dealt with via forum soundbites so let’s leave it there.

Happy New Year.

You’re coming across as a bit confrontational.

That's your perception, over which I have no control.

Of course I would be concerned if the Police arbitrarily curtailed my right to travel. The notion though is a long way from permitting someone who the courts have deemed a risk and requiring to be monitored to own a gun.

No you've missed the point, maybe deliberately,
I didn't say" if the Police arbitrarily curtailed your right to travel."
I said If you were on a watch list you wouldn't be happy if your rights were removed but you would be happy if others rights were removed.

I’m not going to get into a debate about the wider issues of civil liberties as it’s not something that can be dealt with via forum soundbites so let’s leave it there.

Happy New Year.
I don't know if anything can be solved on internet forums, but it passes the time and gives a glimpse of how others think.

Happy new year.

No you've missed the point, maybe deliberately,
I didn't say" if the Police arbitrarily curtailed your right to travel."
I said If you were on a watch list you wouldn't be happy if your rights were removed but you would be happy if others rights were removed.

Sorry but you did reference the Police unless plod has a different meaning to the one I took it to mean…

I'll spell it out.

As I said civil liberties isn’t something I feel can be effectively debated on a forum like this so I’m out of it and will leave you to crack on if you feel it can be.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry but you did reference the Police unless plod has a different meaning to the one I took it to mean…
I did indeed, I also referenced "MI whatever" I'm sure you understand what I meant by that.

So can we get on with a somewhat adult discussion. This thread, so far, has been the most civil and balanced I've seen on this site.

I did indeed, I also referenced "MI whatever" I'm sure you understand what I meant by that.

So can we get on with a somewhat adult discussion. This thread, so far, has been the most civil and balanced I've seen on this site.

Your reply came through and crossed as I was adding a final paragraph via an edit Artie. I’m certainly remaining civil and balanced.

Sorry but I’m not familiar with “MI whatever” but if it’s part of the legal or security system of the U.K. it can be added to my reference to the Police.

Benjamin Franklin Quote: “It is better to let 100 criminals go free than to imprison 1 innocent man.”

I suspect some of you will disagree with that
I'm not going to disagree, imprisonment is an extreme punishment and not just of the individual it brakes up families with some very negative outcomes. There is quite a difference with measures to limit someones ability to cause harm even pre-trial when they must be assumed innocent. Stopping an innocent man owning a military style gun while under investigation does not equate.

I still have no idea how it could have been practically applied, which may of been why it was blocked. To be effective all gun dealiers would have had to know someone was on a terrorist watch list, that would be a frightening situation, I think I'm starting to see where it fell down.

I think the issue is that I'm not at all sure that an individual being on a watch list is something that is determined by any sort of judicial authority. The reasons may well be based on intelligence sources that the security services are, quite understandably, unwilling to reveal or discuss. You have to have a great deal of faith of you are prepared to accept that the answer to the question, " why is Mr X on a watchlist? " might be " because we say he should be, but we can't or won't tell you why". The scope for this to be abused, intentionally or otherwise is obvious. whilst it is just a watchlist, is a means for the security service to keep an eye on someone, that's fair enough. As soon as you move to a situation where you start to restrict someone's rights based purely on their being on that list that is an entirely different matter. You don't have to go too far back to see when membership of CND or the communist party, for example, would have seen your name on a watchlist. We know now that members of CND were placed under surveillance, had their phones tapped and so forth, because the authorities considered them to be subversive elements. So whilst I have every confidence that our security service are doing their best to manage this delicate juggling act, to suggest that it is incapable of being abused is a little naive. The truth is that we place considerable power in their hands, and have to trust them to use it wisely, likewise those who are responsible for overseeing what they are doing. Getting back to guns, I think the problem in America is that the second amendment seems to be regarded by many as being sacrosanct, and cannot be reviewed in light of the massive changes in society and weapons that have taken place since it was written. At that time the state of the art weapon was a muzzle loading musket. You would not get far trying to carry out a mass shooting with one of those, the reloading time alone would enable most of your potential victims to run out of range before you were ready to fire your second shot. A modern assault rifle is clearly a very different matter. So I think you need to ask those who own such weapons how their lives would be materially affected if they were no longer able to do so. I suspect the truthful answer would be not atall. Yes it would impinge on their right to bear arms, but if that were for the benefit of society in general then so be it. There are plenty of precedents, you cannot for example drive you car down the road at whatever speed it may be capable of, because as a society we believe your ability to do that should be controlled, so we have speed limits. Admittedly our right to drive a car is not enshrined in a constitution, but if it were I am sure no one would suggest that preventing you from driving your Ferrari past the local school at 150mph would be a catastrophic infringement of your constitutional rights. In short when the most advanced weapon you could own was a musket it was perfectly reasonable for the amendment to be taken at face value, and without any qualification. That is no longer the case and I would suggest that it does need qualifying and should no longer be taken to mean essentially anything you can get your hands on.
Interesting debate.
And a happy New Year to everyone.

At that time the state of the art weapon was a muzzle loading musket. You would not get far trying to carry out a mass shooting with one of those, the reloading time alone would enable most of your potential victims to run out of range before you were ready to fire your second shot. A modern assault rifle is clearly a very different matter.
Indeed. Logically (in order to be able to be able to rise up successfully against a tyrannical government) the 2nd Amendment should be revised to include miniguns, tanks, ground attack helicopters and all associated armament, A-10s, cruise missiles etc etc. Otherwise it is obsolete.

I think some are putting two unrelated things together.
The second amendment is not the cause of school shootings.
We all know of other heavily armed societies where mass shootings are rare.
If the 2nd amendment was repealed tomorrow there are enough guns in circulation to kill everyone ten times over.
What's the reason for mass shootings?

I think some are putting two unrelated things together.
The second amendment is not the cause of school shootings.
We all know of other heavily armed societies where mass shootings are rare.
If the 2nd amendment was repealed tomorrow there are enough guns in circulation to kill everyone ten times over.
What's the reason for mass shootings?
I don't think there is a reason.
I think they are facilitated by the easy availability of guns, and the gun culture generally.
Of course there are enough guns in circulation to kill everyone ten times over, but does that mean you should just give up and sit on your hands?
Or maybe people in the US think mass shootings are an acceptable price to pay for the privilege of gun ownership, just like society regards automobile related deaths as an acceptable consequence of driving.
I certainly don't have any answers, but I think it's worth trying anything to reduce gun deaths.

Completely right - Afghanistan demonstrated the inadequacy of cutting edge military tech, funded by almost limitless budgets, confronting a few (highly motivated) blokes equipped with AK47s, possibly some ground to air missiles, living in caves, no protective kit etc.

I don't think there is a reason.
I think they are facilitated by the easy availability of guns, and the gun culture generally.

I grew up in what was described as the most heavily armed area in Western Europe. And that was just the legal stuff.

Anyone who had the desire could have obtained an illegal gun.

Legal ones required many hoops to be jumped through.

At one time the only way to get a legal gun was if someone was relinquishing it. No new imports.
The scarcity of legal guns did not stop terrorists from killing thousands.

The relatively ease with which one could acquire an illegal gun did not cause school shootings.

I think the answer lies elsewhere.

Of course there are enough guns in circulation to kill everyone ten times over, but does that mean you should just give up and sit on your hands?

Sorry we are far removed and can do no more than type about it.

Or maybe people in the US think mass shootings are an acceptable price to pay for the privilege of gun ownership, just like society regards automobile related deaths as an acceptable consequence of driving.

Possibly

I certainly don't have any answers, but I think it's worth trying anything to reduce gun deaths.
I don't think it's worth trying just anything.

The relatively ease with which one could acquire an illegal gun did not cause school shootings.
The vast majority of school shootings in the USA are with legally acquired weapons. Here, at Hungerford and Dunblane both perpetrators had legal guns. This is why we have such strict legislation here, and why most people agree with it. Illegal weapons are generally used in gang-related shootings or serious crime.

The vast majority of school shootings in the USA are with legally acquired weapons.
Communication can be difficult and I fail often, I'll try another way.

A legally acquired firearm in the USA.
Were it acquired in the same way in the UK would be an illegal firearm

So that fact doesn't affect the state of mind of the user or why he/she want's to kill multiple people.

Latest posts

Back