Gotten

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selectortone

Still waking up not dead in the morning
Reaction score
Unless we've all suddenly become Americans the word is got. Not gotten. It may have been old usage here, but it isn't now. Similarly the words are anyway and aeroplane, not anyways or airplane. And the plural of aircraft is aircraft, not (ugh!) aircrafts. And it's 'may I have' not 'can I get'. Come on chaps (not guys) let's try to (not and) maintain some standards.

Thank you for your attention; I feel better for that. And the opportunity to use a semicolon.

Language is constantly changing. Get your head around this dating from (well, work it out for yourself):-
‘Thus endeth Nychodemus gospell. Enprynted at London in Fletestrete at the sygne of the sonne by Wynkyn de Worde prynter unto the moost excellent pryncesse my lady the kynges moder. In the yere of our lorde god. M. CCCCC. ix. the. xxiii. daye of Marche.’
Taken from my current reading, 'The Bookmakers' by Adam Smith
Brian

Fair point.
I have an American wife and three stepdaughters, so I'm bilingual by necessity, but I have to admit that I still wince at "different than", and have given up trying to explain the difference between"bring" and "take", on which point, I have noticed that the bring/take thing seems to occur in Irish literature as well, so maybe it's old usage too.

When I lived in Russia one thing that struck we was how the management of the language reflected the culture. The Oxford English dictionary is the best compendium of the language in use at the time and incorporates new words every year. The Russian equivalent dictionary reflects the language as it 'should be'. It does not contain slang and the entry of new words is uncommon. Language evolves all the time, the challenge at the moment is that British English is being assaulted by American English via the internet and the rate of change is unpleasant. I am constantly correcting my children's Americanisms but I myself at times find myself using a term that is just more useful, like 'sorry my bad'.

Fitz.

Last edited:
When I lived in Russia one thing that struck we was how the management of the language reflected the culture. The Oxford English dictionary is the best compendium of the language in use at the time and incorporates new words every year. The Russian equivalent dictionary reflects the language as it 'should be'. It does not contain slang and the entry of new words is uncommon. Language evolves all the time, the challenge at the moment is that British English is being assaulted by American in English via the internet and the rate of change is unpleasant. I am constantly correcting my children's Americanisms but I myself at times find myself using a term that is just more useful, like 'sorry my bad'.

Fitz.
I think it's impossible to stem the tide of change in language, and attempting to do so could make you look like a sprout.
Although, as I understand things, he was simply trying to demonstrate to his courtiers that there were things beyond his control.

When I lived in Russia one thing that struck we was how the management of the language reflected the culture. The Oxford English dictionary is the best compendium of the language in use at the time and incorporates new words every year. The Russian equivalent dictionary reflects the language as it 'should be'. It does not contain slang and the entry of new words is uncommon. Language evolves all the time, the challenge at the moment is that British English is being assaulted by American in English via the internet and the rate of change is unpleasant. I am constantly correcting my children's Americanisms but I myself at times find myself using a term that is just more useful, like 'sorry my bad'.

Fitz.
Yes, the OED records common usage, not correct usage.

Latest posts

Back