Festool OF2200 vs 1400

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a Festool OF2200 240v around five months ago and I’m thinking of moving down in size to the OF1400.

I do have a small Dewalt 1/4” trim router but wanted something to handle all I could throw at it, so jumped up to the OF2200. It is amazing, but it’s really heavy and feels like quite the effort when I’m rounding off corners or putting in dovetails for the microjig system. Trouble is, I have good half inch bits, son I would still want a half inch router.

I also have the OF2000 accessory systainer set (jumped in with both feet) which I assume is not compatible with the OF1400

Interested in people’s thoughts on whether I might regret parting with the OF2200?

Generally the 1400 is seen as the general purpose router. It can do most things the 2200 can do as well as most things the 1100 can do. If you have a 2200 you might be better adding a 1100 so you have the best of both worlds.

I have all 3 and I tend to use the OF1400 the most due to the nature of the work that I do, followed by the OF1010 ( which is my favourite to use 😁) and the OF 2200 the least.
It entirely depends on what you plan on doing with the router......Large dia cutters & deep cuts, then the 2200 is ideal, as the extra weight gives it stability. It will accept 1/4", 8mm and 1/2" collets, which pretty much covers most eventualities you are likely to come across.
The 1400 will also accept the same size collett's but is obviously going to have reduced power by comparison, but it is easier to handle and a noticeably lighter weight than it's big brother.
The 1010 will only accept the 1/4" & 8mm collett's, but is by far the most comfortable to use in my opinion.

The dust extraction capabilities on all 3 are second to none, especially when edge routing with the special deflector fitted....👍

Edit.
That accessories kit is specifically for the 2200 and the parts do not fit the 1400 unfortunately.
Edit 2.
I think the side fence may be the same as the 1400, but I'm far from certain of that...?

Last edited:
I have all 3 and I tend to use the OF1400 the most due to the nature of the work that I do, followed by the OF1010 ( which is my favourite to use 😁) and the OF 2200 the least.
It entirely depends on what you plan on doing with the router......Large dia cutters & deep cuts, then the 2200 is ideal, as the extra weight gives it stability. It will accept 1/4", 8mm and 1/2" collets, which pretty much covers most eventualities you are likely to come across.
The 1400 will also accept the same size collett's but is obviously going to have reduced power by comparison, but it is easier to handle and a noticeably lighter weight than it's big brother.
The 1010 will only accept the 1/4" & 8mm collett's, but is by far the most comfortable to use in my opinion.

The dust extraction capabilities on all 3 are second to none, especially when edge routing with the special deflector fitted....👍

Edit.
That accessories kit is specifically for the 2200 and the parts do not fit the 1400 unfortunately.
Edit 2.
I think the side fence may be the same as the 1400, but I'm far from certain of that...?
Thanks. I can see how easy it is to end up with all three routers. I think the OF1400 would be fine, just the risk that the moment I sell the OF2200, I’d suddenly have a need for it :)

Good to hear dust extraction is great on all of them.

Perhaps I need practice with the OF2200, so I can move it around more easily. I also really struggle to set the depth accurately for things like a dovetail router bit at 3/8” given the weight of the thing when plunging and locking the handle.

Generally the 1400 is seen as the general purpose router. It can do most things the 2200 can do as well as most things the 1100 can do. If you have a 2200 you might be better adding a 1100 so you have the best of both worlds.
The 1100 would overlap with the Dewalt that I’m already happy with.

Decisions, decisions :cool:

Last edited:
The 1100 would overlap with the Dewalt that I’m already happy with.

Decisions, decisions :cool:
I would probably stick with what you have then. Dewalt for most jobs and 2200 for worktop size jobs. If you rarely do the heavy stuff then the 1400 is more versatile but you will increase the problem of deciding to pick up the Dewalt or the Festool.

I have the 1400 and the 1010 and only on very rare occasions do I wish I had something bigger. I also have a small bosch, like the Makita, for rounding over edges etc when dust collection isn't important.

I have the 2200 and 1400, the 2200 generally only gets used when I'm making staircases, routing out for the treads and risers, I do favour the 1400 and it covers 99% of my needs (I do have other router options as well)

I have an OF1400 and it does everything I need, great router (y)

The only negative I hear about it is the copy ring mounting system, it just snaps in (think the OF220 is the same) and can have a bit of movement plus it can't be adjusted if not central.

I have an OF1400 and it does everything I need, great router (y)

The only negative I hear about it is the copy ring mounting system, it just snaps in (think the OF220 is the same) and can have a bit of movement plus it can't be adjusted if not central.

I've read the same thing Doug, but I've not noticed any play in mine....

@Doug71 I have heard that as well, I've not had an issue with my 2200, but to be honest I rarely use it on my 1400, not noticed an issue, but I mostly use bearing cutters on that machine, as I said before my 2200 is only really used for when I make staircases, or for big mouldings, but then that's what my SM's are for.

OF2200.jpg

Back