Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad had a Black Panther single cylinder 750cc I think it was, anyway he used to wind up the local boys with try to start it comments to them, when they could not he would say to me about five years younger, show them how son, I knew where the valve lift was so was able too, insert Smug look emoji.

My first bike was a BSA Bantam 125 - pretty pathetic. But then I had 90 thou skimmed off the head and raised the compression ratio from about 8:1 to about 14:1. It was the only Bantam I knew that could kick back quite viciously! On rare occasions, it would also start the engine backwards. A bit disconcerting when you were trying to set off.

Ah. Nostalgia!
At sixteen (1963) learnt to ride on friend's Tiger Cub, my first own bike was a sidecar outfit with a BSA M21, 600cc single cylinder side valve (I think) bought for £15 from a work colleague who was upgrading to a Panther outfit. Yes, that could kick. In more recent years had a Thwaites diesel dumper with a hand crank, which took a bit of getting used to. You had to perfect pulling the hand crank off smartly as it started or it rotated at high speed, length of two by four then needed, to disengage!

Ah. Nostalgia!
At sixteen (1963) learnt to ride on friend's Tiger Cub, my first own bike was a sidecar outfit with a BSA M21, 600cc single cylinder side valve (I think) bought for £15 from a work colleague who was upgrading to a Panther outfit. Yes, that could kick. In more recent years had a Thwaites diesel dumper with a hand crank, which took a bit of getting used to. You had to perfect pulling the hand crank off smartly as it started or it rotated at high speed, length of two by four then needed, to disengage!
Had BSA Bantam as first bike £5. Neat well put together machine.
About 1966 with first child went for M21 600c single-cylinder side-valve combi. Valve lifter for easy starting.
Had lots of fun with it, including camping excursions. There were a lot of them about - ex AA bikes and also ex military M20s (500cc).
When 2nd child turned up went for a Ford 100e and didn't have another bike for a long time except brief sessions Yamaha V90 for shopping, then Honda Superdream for commuting - a very nice bike.
Lots of push bikes in the meantime, Elswick, Raleigh Carlton, Dawes Galaxy, Mercian Superlight and others.
'er indoors has just this minute turned up from local bike shop with a Trek Verve electric! Too soon for me I'm still pedalling, but getting off and pushing on some hills where I've never pushed before.

Last edited:
My dad had a Black Panther single cylinder 750cc I think it was, anyway he used to wind up the local boys with try to start it comments to them, when they could not he would say to me about five years younger, show them how son, I knew where the valve lift was so was able too, insert Smug look emoji.
A guy I knew years ago had an old British 500cc single. This had a valve to start it. Left open for a while you could probably count the number of revolutions per minute! 😆

Back