Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw an interesting thought/question posed in a science magazine in relation to self driving cars.

If the majority of cars become automated and don't have drivers behind the wheels, how long will it be before pedestrians learn that the autonomous vehicles will stop if they just step out into the road. I don't think they meant on a dual carriageway way but in town etc.

I was waiting to cross the road in my town which is a 20mph zone and can take quite a while even to get across at certain times. In the future will people just see autonomous cars coming and just wave their bag etc out into the road to cause it to stop and then merrily cross the road. We've already seen people stopping the waymo cars with traffic cones, so it doesn't seem to far out there that this could become a thing.

Perhaps it'll make being a pedestrian a lot easier.
Automated vehicles may lock doors unless stationary or involved in an accident. They will likely have the capacity to unlock only those next to the pavement, and (as with a human driver) find somewhere safe to pull over i an emergency.

Some will no doubt try to disrupt automated vehicles and find themselves face down in the road nursing broken bones and losing blood.

I would guess that automated vehicles will have "black boxes" recording all system inputs preceding a crash - perhaps on a 30 minute loop. Those pedestrians who misjudge speed and distance will have to take responsibility for their own stupidity.

Automated vehicles may lock doors unless stationary or involved in an accident. They will likely have the capacity to unlock only those next to the pavement, and (as with a human driver) find somewhere safe to pull over i an emergency.

Some will no doubt try to disrupt automated vehicles and find themselves face down in the road nursing broken bones and losing blood.

I would guess that automated vehicles will have "black boxes" recording all system inputs preceding a crash - perhaps on a 30 minute loop. Those pedestrians who misjudge speed and distance will have to take responsibility for their own stupidity.
Sadly, pedestrians now don't have to take responsibility, due to recent changes, they have precedence in right of way over the car.
Still likely to end up over the car bonnet anyway though.

Back